1753365 Members
5363 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Get back a file from a crashed linux system

peterchu
Super Advisor

Get back a file from a crashed linux system

I have a RH linux server but it is crashed , now this server can't connect cdrom , can't connect network and even can't boot , I have a important file inside the HD , I want to get back the file , if I unplug the HD and plug it to a windows server , can I see the file from windows explorer ? if not , could suggest the way how to get back the file ? thx

3 REPLIES 3
renarios
Trusted Contributor

Re: Get back a file from a crashed linux system

Hi,

Windows does not support Linux file systems (ext2, ext3), so that doesn't work. Try to mount the disk in another Linux box.

Cheerio,

Renarios
Nothing is more successfull as failure
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

If it's a stand-alone IDE disk in the machine, then yes, you can possibly do it that way.

If the filesystem's on the disk are in EXT2/3 format (these are the defaults on a RH system), then you can transplant the disk into another system. If you have the new system with both disks, there are tools which allow you to read an EXT2/3 filesystem under Windows. There are a few tools listed at http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/info/ntfs.html#3.2 , but otherwise do a google search for 'windows ext2'.

If the network isn't working, nor is the CD-ROM, it sounds like the mainboard has died on you (assuming everything is on the mainboard, like most modern computers these days).

One long-haired git at your service...
Huc_1
Honored Contributor

You could also put the disk in a working system and boot this system using a knoppix live cd.

with knoppix you would be able to mount the disk and cp/tar copy the files some where else
or backup the entire disk!

have a look at for details.

http://www.knoppix.org/

Jean-Pierre Huc
Smile I will feel the difference