New Discussion юеВ

Re: linux, router, modem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Umapathy S
Honored Contributor

linux, router, modem

Guys, after a brief interval I am back.

I want to buy a ADSL router modem which can be used with my linux laptop (Fedora). Also, the modem should have a web interface so that I can configure it to my ISP. If it is a pure telnet, it wont be a problem at all. But I fear I should buy a modem which can be configured via win$ applications.
What are the suggestions for the modem?
I have never used a ADSL router modem. How will I configure the ISP, username and passwd with such a modem?

thanks
Umapathy
Arise Awake and Stop NOT till the goal is Reached!
7 REPLIES 7
Jan Sladky
Trusted Contributor

hi Umapathy:

one UNIX/Linux supported model you can find on:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000TZ8Z8/026-8229921-1337251

brief descr. but for SuSE is on:
http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/nnlsmag/features/a_adsl_router_suse_nls.html

but I haven't found setting for loging.

br Jan
GSM, Intelligent Networks, UNIX
Alexander Chuzhoy
Honored Contributor

Hi.
Don't purchase a modem that connects to computer via USB.Buy only those that are connected via NIC.Also before purchasing try to search the internet for instructions how to make router out of it.
I used once Alcatel and now Samsung ADSL modems.I was able to find manual-how to make router out of them.Simply followed the instruction.Now when my computer is booted -it's already connected to the internet-so it doesn't matter what Operating System I use.
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor
Solution

I agree with Alexander about only using ethernet modem/routers.

If you want a router, use a router. It should be able to do all of your authentication and basic routing it's self. You plug one end into your phone line, the other into a 2nd ethernet port on your Linux box, and use it as your firewall/gateway.

If you want to use an ADSL modem and thus use PPPoE, it can also be done (although I've never done it myself). Once again, 2nd ethernet port for the adsl modem etc. etc.

General design:

{local net}->Linux Box->ADSL (modem/router)->{Internet}

Depending on what type of ADSL connection you get from your provider depends on how you set the device up.

I'm kinda lucky beign that I get a subnet from my ISP which is routed to my ADSL at home. My friend terminates his on a PC and uses that to do NAT etc. etc. with a single address.
One long-haired git at your service...
Umapathy S
Honored Contributor

Thanks Guys .

Stuart, I went for a router/modem because of the ethernet port availability and be able to connect more than one machine. Most of the broadband ISPs nowadays come up with their own modem which connects to a PC via USB port.
If I plugin a router in between modem and the PC or a ADSL modem with router, I am wondering how will I configure my username/passwd with the modem.

Hope I am more clear now.

Umapathy

Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

Welcome back Umapathy,
from the models I tried (Zyxel is mots used here, don't know in your place, tried alsa a netgear, but I don't remember model name), you telnet or web connect to a pre-defined factory set IP address, and you are in. The setting username and such parameters are trivial.
If the modem is directly attached to your fedora, then new internet connection settings is the place to go. Your modem should be physically detected (agree with the others, avoid USB) and listed, and you'll set up connection parameters from ther.

Good luck
You can lean only on what resists you...
John Collier
Esteemed Contributor

Umpathy,

This is a Linux forum, so perhaps you can appreciate the simplicity of this solution:
http://www.smoothwall.org/

If you have an old machine (or a favorite junk-parts store nearby) this is the best solution that I have found yet. Although I don't personally use ADSL, I understand from many sources that this is set up to work with many different ADSL providers. All you would need from there would be a switch for your internal home LAN and you would be off and running.

Have used it at my residence since the 1.0 GPL release and even got brave and BETA tested the current release. It runs on an old P133 with a whole 64M of RAM (which is overkill for our network). No keyboard, mouse, monitor, CDROM, or even floppy in the box now. All configuration and maintenance is done remotely.

As with most Linux distros, the price is right, so all you have to loose is the time it takes to read up on it if you decide not to use it.

Hope this helps,
John

P.S. I would be interested in your thoughts on it even if you decide not to use it if you can find time to put them here.
"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." Stephen Krebbet, 1793-1855
Umapathy S
Honored Contributor

Thanks Guys. After some extensive reading and understanding the stuff behind, I have come up with 3 models.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ShopGroupID=38&CategoryID=80&ProductID=1003&Title=3Com%203CRWE754G72A%2054Mbpw%20Wireless%20ADSL%20Router%20w/FREE%20Wireless%20Laptop%20Card

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ShopGroupID=38&CategoryID=80&ProductID=976&Title=U.S.%20Robotics%20USR9106%2054Mbps%20Wireless%20ADSL%20Router%20w/FREE%20Laptop%20Card

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ShopGroupID=38&CategoryID=80&ProductID=1094&Title=NETGEAR%20DG834G%2054Mbps%20Wireless%20ADSL%20Router%20w/FREE%20Wireless%20WG511T%20Card

Jerome, zyxel is costly and not needed for a home user like me. The very basic reason I went for a router modem is to avoid the USB hassels.

JC, I much appreciate your advice. Smoothwall is in my agenda as well, but it will take some time. I will surely update.

thanks

Umapathy