Simpler Navigation coming for Servers and Operating Systems
Coming soon: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We will combine many of the older boards, and you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. If you are looking for an older board and do not find it, check the consolidated boards, as the posts are still there.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem with KDE

Chris Reynolds_2
Occasional Visitor

problem with KDE

I'm new to linux, and I'm trying to rebuild an old HP Netserver LH Pro. I installed Mandrake Linux 9.1 on it , and everything looks good short of the GUI. When it boots, it gives me the console. When I try to start the KDE it says that it can't find any screens. Any ideas?

3 REPLIES
Balaji N
Honored Contributor

Re: problem with KDE

Hi,

Have you configured X. is there a file called XF86Config in /etc/X11 directory. This is your X config file.

On Redhat boxes, you can use Xconfigurator, xf86config or the redhat configurator tool for configuring this.

Not sure on Mandrake. Can you try running X --configure and see if it generates a config file.

Then try X -xf86config and see if it starts. then move this to the /etc/X11 directory and then use startx to start X. and in your .xinitrc u can use startkde to start kde.

pls revert if u need any help.

hth
-balaji
Its Always Important To Know, What People Think Of You. Then, Of Course, You Surprise Them By Giving More.
Kodjo Agbenu
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Have a look at :

http://h200004.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpn11463/lpn11463.pdf

The documentation says :

* Integrated 1024x768, 16-color, noninterlaced
* 512KB standard video memory

This is a very poor graphics card, and using it with KDE would probably be a bad idea.

However if you want to try, use the standard "vga" driver and configure it for 16 colors (not 16 bits, but 4 bits !)

Good luck.

Kodjo
Learn and explain...
Chris Reynolds_2
Occasional Visitor

Alright, I installed an old graphics card that was better than the current one, and boom, I'm up and running (After the new Graphics card, I reinstalled the OS) Now I have a strange problem. My KDE looks scrambled, and there is a contstant bar-code to the left of my mouse. It looks like an old Nintendo game, when you needed to jiggle the game cartridge. I have tried to locate the driver for the specific video card, but I'm not exactly sure what model number the card is. Does this sound like a video card driver problem?