5939 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Test event on ESXi

17thierry
Occasional Advisor

Test event on ESXi

Hi,

I discovered an ESXi with Wbem credential and the subcription is done, and now I would like to do a test event but there are no SMH on ESXi and the test event in CRA task is skipped.
If you have an idea about how do a test event on ESXi ?

Thank a lot for yur assistance
4 REPLIES 4
BPE
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Test event on ESXi

On a test server I unplug one of the redundant power supplies but on a production system I would not recommend this procedure.
If you have insight remote support in place,
a call to HP will be done. You should first check in the contact information of the test system which person will be called by HP and inform the listed people inside your company about the test details.
17thierry
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Thank for your update, but it's not possible on production server and when there are a long distance between the datacenter and the administrator's center.

I search a solution with the soft command to send a test event.

Best regard.
17thierry
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I found in white paper:
Sending a test event is bnot possible with ESXi.

Clarifying VMware operating system support
http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02531448/c02531448.pdf

Extract:
Notice, in the case of the VMware ESXi servers the ability to send a test event from the physical host is not possible since the VMware ESXi hypervisor is embedded and therefore the console is not available to the user. In comparison, the VMware ESX and other operating systems do provide the user with access. In addition, VM Guests by default are not enabled as remote support devices.
Two challenges arising from this are:
├п ┬╖ Sending a management test indication from an ESXi server physical host is not possible. Only physical events due to actual hardware status changes will prompt WBEM indications to be sent.
fenster67
Occasional Visitor

actually you can do it.  On ESXi you have to install the HP Utilities Offline Bundle for ESXi 5.1.  You have to download it and deploy it w/ VUM.  Then,  all you have to do is the following at the command line

esxcli hptestevent execute

You should get a response at the command line of-

Request successful.  Test event will be generated