Problem installing Advanced JFS - kernel errors preventing kernel build

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jack C. Mahaffey
Super Advisor

Problem installing Advanced JFS - kernel errors preventing kernel build

swinstall fails with a bunch of "ld: Dupicate symbol" messages. 300+

Here's an example
ld: Duplicate symbol "vx_aioctl_common" in files /usr/conf/lib/libvxfs_base.a[vx_aioctl.o] and /usr/conf/lib/libvxfs.a[x33_aioctl.o]

This is first time I've seen something like this.

Any ideas.

3 REPLIES 3
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: Problem installing Advanced JFS - kernel errors preventing kernel build

Hi Jack:

Based on your earlier post today concerning the reinstallation of PHKL_18543 I'm not surprised. See the comments (thus) far in that thread:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xe1520c4a5d88b84d8d9e041b47fcb4e4,00.html

Regards!

...JRF...
Helen French
Honored Contributor

From TKB #UKRNBKBRC00007500:

Problem: Problem with kernel generation when installing Online JFS B3929BA

Resolution:
In this case, the problem was caused by having the Veritas Volume Manager product installed, from Veritas. The product, direct from Veritas, is not supported by HP. The drivers with the duplicate symbols are vxfsvrts, vxportalvrts and fdd. These drivers should be removed from the kernel or the product should be swremoved before the Online product will swinstall properly.

http://support2.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000062922017
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
Jack C. Mahaffey
Super Advisor

Here's an update.

It appears that there are some Veritas drivers loaded and the drivers need to be removed. I noticed that there was a patch (PHKL_22122) loaded that had Veritas as part of the name. I removed the patch, rebooted and am currently re-installing ONline Advance JFS.

Here's some info from some sources:

"In this case, the problem was caused by having the Veritas
Volume Manager product installed, from Veritas. The product,
direct from Veritas, is not supported by HP. The drivers
with the duplicate symbols are vxfsvrts, vxportalvrts and fdd.
These drivers should be removed from the kernel or the product should
be swremoved before the Online product will swinstall properly."

"This problem is occurring because /stand/vmunix was not recovered along with the
rest of the system backup. The kernel on the system has the JFS 3.1 drivers:vxadv and vxbase. These drivers are incompatible with the JFS 3.3
drivers which are being added, vxfs and vxportal33. Removevxadv and vxbase from the kernel, and then vxfs andvxportal33 can be added to enable JFS 3.3."