MSA Storage
1751723 Members
5219 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

HPE MSA 2050 Storage -Volume utilization in the array differs from that of Host end utilization

kushi8
Occasional Visitor

HPE MSA 2050 Storage -Volume utilization in the array differs from that of Host end utilization

Hi,

we have HP MSA storage with 14 TB total and we see around 11TB free space. But when checked on the VM end they come up with data that only 1TB is free.

I dont understand how can there be so much difference? can someone help on this?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: HPE MSA 2050 Storage -Volume utilization in the array differs from that of Host end utilization

1st of please let us know what is the Host Operating System version?

Can you please share the screenshot from MSA and Host both?

You can also provide below outputs,

show pools

show volumes

show disk-groups

You need to check what is the "base preference" set at MSA. Is it base 2 or base 10 set? TB (Base 10) vs TiB (Base 2) 

All HDD vendors present their disk capacities in Base 10.  Most file systems present their disk capacities in Base 2.

It's possible some space reclaim need to start at the Host end.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
kushi8
Occasional Visitor

Re: HPE MSA 2050 Storage -Volume utilization in the array differs from that of Host end utilization

Hi Subhajit,

Host Operating System version is ESXi 6.5,base preference is Base 10 in HP MSA where as in VM its Base 2.

Sorry,I couldnt attached screenshots.

the requested commad output is listed below,

# show pools
Name Serial Number Blocksize Total Size Avail Snap Size OverCommit Disk Groups Volumes Low Thresh Mid Thresh High Thresh Sec Fmt Health
Reason Action
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 512 14.3TB 11.2TB 0B Enabled 2 7 50.00 % 75.00 % 98.50 % 512n OK

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Success: Command completed successfully. (2019-04-11 08:17:20)

# show volumes
Pool Name Total Size Alloc Size Type Health Reason Action
----------------------------------------------------------------
A Vol01 2047.9GB 502.5GB base OK
A Vol02 2047.9GB 522.8GB base OK
A Vol03 2047.9GB 40.1GB base OK
A Vol04 2047.9GB 1018.2GB base OK
A Vol05 2047.9GB 246.1GB base OK
A Vol06 2047.9GB 759.1GB base OK
A Testvol 99.9GB 20.6GB base OK
----------------------------------------------------------------
Success: Command completed successfully. (2019-04-11 08:17:30)

# show disk-groups
Name Blocksize Size Free Pool Tier % of Pool Own Pref RAID Disks Spr Chk Status Jobs Job% Serial Number
Spin Down SD Delay Sec Fmt Health Reason Action
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DiskGroup01 512 10.7TB 9.2TB A Standard 75 A A RAID5 13 0 64k FTOL VRSC 33% xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Disabled 0 512n OK
DiskGroup02 512 3594.9GB 2040.0GB A Standard 24 A A RAID5 5 0 512k FTOL xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Disabled 0 512n OK
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Success: Command completed successfully. (2019-04-11 08:17:54)

#

Is MSA volume presented to VM as raw device through RDM?

If the MSA volume presented as datastore in ESX then you can check if unmap need to initiate to reclaim back space the VMFS filesystem level

1st thing you need to change at the MSA is base. Please change this from base 10 to base 2 and then compare it with Host.

Your issue seems at the Host and not at the MSA end.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
kushi8
Occasional Visitor

Hi Subhajit,

We have presented the volume to datastore and not RDM.

We are currently checking for unmap command execution,will let you post that.

Thank you!