MSA Storage
1748228 Members
4435 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Move data from MA8000 to EVA3000

CA1052112

Move data from MA8000 to EVA3000

We are upgrading our HW configuration. We have MA8000 and we will buy EVA3000. After we will configure EVA3000 and connect it to our SAN, we would like to use only EVA3000.
Is there some best practice, to move all data from MA8000 to EVA3000 ?

Thanks
Mila
10 REPLIES 10
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: Move data from MA8000 to EVA3000

Mila,
it very much depends on the operating systems you have in use, but did not tell us.
Nagarajan Balakrishnan_1
Frequent Advisor

Mila,

Assuming you have Tru64, you could just connect both the storages to the server at the same time. Then use simple "addvol" and "rmvol" commands to transfer data into the EVA. This would require AdvFS Utilities License.

Cheers
Baalki
BR734478
Advisor

If using Windows, you could install VERITAS Storage Foundation, and move your volumes from the MA8K to the EVA, assuming they are both connected simultaneously, on the fly using drag n drop, and still maintain your drive letters during the move operation.

Christian
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Assuming you have OpenVMS 7.3-2, you could just connect both the storages to the server at the same time. Then create a Host-based Shadow device for each HSG drive. Once the system is up, add a EVA Virtual Disk to each Shadow device. This would require the Volume Shadowing license.

If OpenVMS 7.3-1 or earlier, boot from CD and use the VMS Backup utility to do an Image copy of each HSG disk to its target EVA disk. This also gives you the advantage of only having to allocate as much storage for each disk as you really need.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

CA1052112

Thanx for replays.
Sorry for incomplete specification our of configuration. We have 3 HP Proliant servers with Windows 2000 Server operation systems (Exchange, SQL, AD controller).

Is possible to move data this simple way (maybe stupid way:-))?:
1) turn off all servers
2) connect another "testing" server to both storage systems (MA8000 and EVA3000)
3) copy data from MA8000 to EVA3000 using "testing" server
4) turn off "testing" server
5) upgrade HBAs on 3 Proliant servers
6) connect 3 Proliant servers to EVA3000

Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Mila:

There is a product called OV Storage Mirroring which you can utilize for free for a short period of time. What you would/could do is set up your test server an attach it to the EVA. Create some VDisks and present them to the test server. With Storage Mirroring, you can replicate your data to the test server while the systems still operate during the day. The systems then "keep in sync" after the initial copy. When your ready, you can just remove presentation of the luns on the ma8000 and present the new eva luns to the 3 servers, modify their drive letters and everything is back up and running.

Optionally, you can just connect up both the ma8000 and the eva3000 to the same san, upgrade the hba drivers and "see" both storage systems. The servers would need to be rebooted though, but would have access to the old and new storage fof direct copy from drive to drive.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
CA1256052

Mila

I have to do something similar now and was wondering which of the methods you used.

regards

Mike
CA1004210
Frequent Advisor

Mila,

I would vote for presenting the EVA disks to the hosts at the same time when they have MA8000 disks presented to the OS. Then do a disk-to-disk Windows level copy or you could then use "robocopy" - fire up a few sessions of robocopy and copy the data across.

I would like to remind you that you be careful with the driver versions of the FCA on Windows when connecting it to multiple storage arrays simultaneoously such as MA8000 & EVA 3000. Check for a common driver that supports connection to both of these arrays at the same time. For eg. latest FCA2214 driver 9.0.13 will only support connection to EVA 5000, however if you intend to connect a server with this model of the FCA2214 to HSG80s and EVAs simultaneously, you must install driver version 8.0.13.

Hope, it helps.
CA1052112

Mike,
I used "SAKET's" method with presenting the EVA disks to the hosts at the same time when they have MA8000 disks presented and then I used Windows based copying.

Regards
Mila