MSA Storage

Remove drive from disk group

Stefano Colombo
Regular Advisor

Remove drive from disk group

Hi

we have an MSA 1040 SAS with 2 DGs , one made of 15x600GB drive and one with 9x1TB disk drives

As the 1040 is full and we are expecting an increasing of space demand we'd like to know if ,and how , we can "shrink" the 600GB DG by removing one drive at time and swap it with new 1TB drives to be added to the other DG

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Remove drive from disk group

@Stefano Colombo 

Please provide more details like linear array or Virtual array? 

If linear array then replacing one 600GB drive with 1TB drive will not be good idea as it will take ages for Vdisk Expansion. Also 1TB drive effective space will be 600GB only. Moreover if any drive fail during expansion then situation will be more complicated. Also if more than one drive fail or any other issue then you will have no option but to delete the vdisk.

Better solution will be to take data backup, delete all Volumes and Vdisks created with 600GB drives. Then re-create vdisk with 1TB drives, re-create volumes and copy back from backup. This will be much faster.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo

@Stefano Colombo 

Can you please help us to understand if the issue got resolved or not?

If issue got resolved then how? This will help for everyone who are all following your forum.

Also request you to mark the forum as resolved if there is no more outstanding query from your end on this issue.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Stefano Colombo
Regular Advisor

Hello

I think it's a linear configuration , but not sure .

The idea was not to add 1TB drives to the 600GB Disk Group

The request was to "shrink" the 600GB Disk group by removing one disk and using the free slot to add a 1TB drive to the 1TB disk group

but been told that is not possible , we're evaluating to remove the 600GB disk group and add 1TB drives

thanks