Operating System - OpenVMS
1753479 Members
5004 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ACMS(xp) 2PC W2K SQL Server VMS Rdb (XA or not)

Richard J Maher
Trusted Contributor

ACMS(xp) 2PC W2K SQL Server VMS Rdb (XA or not)

Hi,

There've been alot of people making alot of claims recently about what is possible, from a transactional point of view, with products X or Y. So rather than continue with the Robert L. Ripley approach to computer "science" I'd like to take the opportunity to ask for expert advice from HP on the subject and from some of you here.

Now, a recent scan of the web tells me that acmsXP is in fact retired, and even out of support since last year! Is that realy correct?

What is ACMS "DI"? I have worked with ACMS desktop in the past that involved simple calls to acms$sign_in, acms$call_task and acms$sign_out, but is DI something different? Something to do with "Web Connector" et al?

Anyway, here's my real question: - How would one achieve a 2PC transaction with *the strictest adherence to* full ACID properties when distributing a txn between Windows2000 SQL Server and VMS Rdb?

Now I know of latent (and minimal) support for the Transaction Internet Protocol in ACMS, but then that txn could only be PUSHed from W2K to VMS?

Could it be Transarc Encina? But How did ACMS translate the XA protocol to DECdtm calls on the VMS/Rdb side? PUSHing and PULLing?

Has something changed since BEA Tuxedo came to town (around the time ACMS disappeared)? Rdb apparently is activating the TRU64 XA code on VMS (What's wrong with the XA Gateway? What's wrong with DECdtm?)

Let me re-phrase: - I'm Joe Customer who wants to integrate his existing (legacy?) systems on Rdb/VMS with his new .NET SQL Server environments. What does HP and VMS engineering have to say to these steadfast and loyal customers?

What is your offering?

Cheers Richard

PS. If they continue to push you towards WSIT, make them PROVE that Web Services Transactions (atomic or otherwise) actually work! The level of, once again "science", that I have seen at an Rdb Tech Forum is "Amazon does it everyday! If it didn't work then why are they still in business?" :-(
1 REPLY 1
Richard J Maher
Trusted Contributor

Re: ACMS(xp) 2PC W2K SQL Server VMS Rdb (XA or not)

'Nuff said!