4753 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Lowercase file/dir names on CD

Arch_Muthiah
Honored Contributor

Piet,

The "extended file spec" support had been added before 7.3-2 release. I guess as of OpenVMS V7.2 on Alpha systems, RMS supports a larger character set on ODS-5 disk.

In addition, OpenVMS V7.2 on Alpha systems and ODS-5 disks includes support for the use of file spec that include all possible 8-bit characters, excluding values 00 through 1F (hex) and excluding the following chars: < > : / \ | ? * "

Now I don't have 7.3 or 7.3-1 to test it.

But if the directory OpenVMS been created from the Program control, then RMS could have stored it as OpenVMS only on the disk.

From the DCL command interface, file names that are entered at the command prompt with lowercase letters will be translated by default to uppercase before they are passed to RMS. Case may be preserved from the DCL command interface by using the DCL command SET PROCESS/PARSE_STYLE=EXTENDED and also using SYS$SET_PROCESS_PROPERTIESW system service. But file lookups was case blind before 7.3-1, as of OpenVMS Version 7.3-1, an option may be set for file look-ups at either the process or file level to request RMS to either ignore or notice the case sensitivity of file names on ODS--5 disks.

At the process level, the user may request RMS to ignore case by using SET PROCESS/CASE_LOOKUP=BLIND.

At the file level, the NAML$V_CASE_LOOKUP flag can be used to instruct RMS to ignore case for a file on an ODS--5 disk (NAM$L_INPUT_FLAGS field in the NAML structure)

NAML$C_CASE_BLIND is set to tell RMS to ignore case or NAML$C_CASE_LOOKUP_SENSITIVE to notice case when creating, deleting or searching for a file on an ODS--5 disk. If the NAML structure is not used or this flag is zero, the current process setting for
CASE_LOOKUP is used.

Dear Steven Schwede, my answers might have gone wrong many times. But till today I am always trying to concentrate on the questions only. Mistake is common when answering a question. Take it easy friend Steve.

Archunan
Regards
Archie
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Piet and others,

please note, that this CD is not an ODS-5 volume, but an ISO 9660 CD, so there may be different rules !

The DIR DQA0:[*...] output presented shows, that only directories with all uppercase characters have been listed, so there is not much hope for DIR DQA0:[O*VMS] to work - but still worth a try.

If you need the files, you should be able to put this CD into any other operating system capable of reading ISO 9660 CDs and copy the files to your OpenVMS V7.3 system using FTP.

Volker.
Piet Timmers_1
Frequent Advisor

Thanks everybody,

I have used the workaround, mount CD on a windows PC and use FTP to copy the files to OpenVMS.

The Cd is provided by Computer Associates (that will tell enough).

Greetings,
Piet Timmers
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Piet,

I've found some more information about ISO 9660 and character sets in the 'LJK/CDROM Reference Manual' at:

http://www.ljk.com/ljk/LJK_CDROM_DOCUMENTATION/LJK_CDROM_0100.HTML

It looks like there should be one 'Primary Hierarchy' on a ISO 9660 CD, which consists of uppercase directory names only.

Volker.