1752329 Members
5382 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Intermitten POST problem on AS8400

ramadoni padmana

Intermitten POST problem on AS8400

Dear All,

I have Alpha Server 8400 that configured with 2 units of CPU, 4 GB memory. After relocation, I faced an intermitten problem on POST process.
After power on the machines, sometime self test process is running well. But mostly there is a problem during Self test process. when the selftest process is failed, the Fault LED is flashing very fast and there is no power supplied to all devices that installed on PIU. There is no information displayed on the console

I have reseated all modules and cleaned it, but the problem still occured. When I tried to start the machine with 2 units of CPU and when the self test is ok, i found the message on the screen that inform there is a problem with console. The messages is:
Console Error,CPU 2, restarting ***
Halt Code = 5, PC = 91314
Console Error,CPU 3, restarting ***
Halt Code = 5, PC = 91314
initializing...

This process is looping until system got hang

Does anybody has this kind of error? please share with me how to resolved this case...

Rgrds
Doni
2 REPLIES 2
Aaron Biver_2
Frequent Advisor

Re: Intermitten POST problem on AS8400

First:

When you first power on, do the CPU module LEDs ever flash on and off? I suspect not. (This will occur when DC is first applied, after the fan is successfully started, and before the start of POST). A failure to flash at the outset of power up suggests there is something wrong with the fan or the power supplies.

In fact, all main module LEDs will light momentarily indicating that they have dc power, then turn off at the start of self-test.

As I recall, the memory LEDs turn on when they have completed their own on-board self-test. They are not tested by the CPU unless they have failed their on-board test.

Given this info, I would start with power and fan issues:

You should be able to observe/hear the blower spinning and may actually hear that it is spinning up and down. This is all very scientific. What you want to do is verify that it is working smoothly, or listen for strange noises or variations in noise (aside from the normal jet-engine sound of the blower).

Second:

I'd really like to see the console output during power up with your observations and annotations regarding perceived faults and other anomolies.

Have you tried starting over with only one cpu module, memory module, I/O modules, etc?

This is a good troubleshooting tip in general:

1) narrow your system down to the smallest subset of components (one cpu module, as little memory as possible, no I/O).

2) Then, add components one by one until the fault occurs. At that point, you have a good candidate for the scrap heap.

3) If you cannot power on with the minimum subset, it is something underneat the components you have removed, like the blower, backplane, power supplies, etc.

ramadoni padmana

Re: Intermitten POST problem on AS8400

Hi Aaron,

firstly I would like to thank for your response. It's really help me. I'll try to give you an explaination on this case

Intermitten. Sometime it flashed. When it flashed i can see the process of POST on the console. But when i found there is no flash, no information display on the console.

For the investigation that i have commenced, so far i found there is no problem with fan or power supplies.

I was not pay attention on blower noise. I'm going to check it and inform you the result later also the console output..

I've tried to start with one CPU only. the system only has 2 cpu, 1 unit 4 GB memory and 1 unit of I/O modules.

Iam going to investigate it again based on your guidance. I will let you know the result

many thanks
Doni