Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
Operating System - Tru64 Unix
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Memory Enough?

Sameer Patel
Occasional Advisor

Re: Memory Enough?

Hello,

I am running ORACLE 9.2.0.5 on COMPAQ ALPHA SERVER ES40 (Tru64 V5.1) with 3CPU and 3 GB RAM.

All times, I see that the free memory is very small. Can anybody guide me as to whether the 3 GB RAM is enoguh or not?

I am attaching herewith the relevant files.

Thanks & Regards,
Sameer.
3 REPLIES
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Re: Re: Memory Enough?

why not using the recommended oracle tuning guide and system specifications for the software and number of instances used?
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Han Pilmeyer
Esteemed Contributor

Ralf is correct of course that there is a lot of information available in the tuning.

In general "free memory" is always very small on Tru64 UNIX systems (unless the VM parameters have been changed). This is NOT a problem in itself.

In your case you can see that there is a substantial amount of "inactive memory", so chances are that you did not have a memory shortage at the time that you took that snap shot.
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Unless you are running into page out it is a good sign when almost all memory is in use.
Why waste anything? You can always use it as cache!
Have you tried sys_check? If anything is a lot out of balance it will make suggestions.

greetings,

Michael