Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMware Lab

Daniele Preite
Occasional Visitor

VMware Lab

Dear all,

I am trying to set-up a cheap VMware lab for test, demos and to study to pass certifications.

I have been googling around and found that ML100G5 were used successfully (ESX, ESXi, vMotion, HA & FT)

I am wondering if I could use 2 ML110T G6
HP ProLiant ML110T G6, 1P x2.40GHz/X3430, 1x 2GB PC3-10600E, 2x 160GB NHP 3.5" SATA, DVD, PS 300W, Raid P212/256MB BBWC, Tower

to test all advanced features of VMware (vMotion, Ha, FT) ?

The system is not in the VMware compatibility list, but the proc & Raid card yes

Does anyone have any experijavascript:postMessageSubmit('submit');ence ?

Daniele
2 REPLIES
Daniel Bowers
Trusted Contributor

Re: VMware Lab

Simon Seagrave (TechHead blog) has a write-up on using ML110 G6 for a VMWare test lab:

http://www.techhead.co.uk/hp-proliant-ml110-g6-released-still-a-worthy-virtualization-work-or-home-lab-server

Note the limitation on trying to use the embedded B110i SATA controller.

Daniele Preite
Occasional Visitor

Re: VMware Lab

Hi,

I already read this article and it does not answer all my questions

There are 2 points:
1 - the system I have chosen is installed with a smart-Array P212 (which solves the B110i issue)
2 - It doesn't confirm or validates that this system can be used at least for HA,vMotion.

For FT i think that it will be really complicated as HW has to be in HCL and FT validated by VMware.

Anyone can confirm ?
Daniele