1753511 Members
5292 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL380 Fan Speed Control

Raymond_57
Occasional Advisor

DL380 Fan Speed Control

I have a few Proliant DL380's. Some are running Windows Server 2000 others are running Windows Server 2003. I can not get the fans to power down. They run at full speed all of the time. On our novell servers the fan speed is reduced after the OS loads. Anyone have an idea on how to reduce the fan speeds on a Windows box? The environment temperatures are withing the proper range so the fans should power down after the OS loads.
7 REPLIES 7
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Re: DL380 Fan Speed Control

Hi Raymond,

My assumption is that you have posted same query befor also. If not then can you confirm the server is running with the following latest infomration.

BIOS
Proliant support pack 7.0

Where as doccument refer the following information. Please do check that also
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_CN0354W

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Remon van Gijn
Frequent Advisor

We're having the same troubles likely.
Try installing the "HP Proliant Advanced System Management driver for w2k" from the Support driver pack.

If you get the nice error, "This package does not need to be installed on your system", you're in the same boat as others (like us). We have a server room full of these with w2k, and a small airport is competing in noise level, and not winning..
We're running latest bios, and IMA's 7.0 etc. These HP advanced health drivers notmally trim the speed down, but as it does not wish to install itself.

Many people have the issue. Report it to HP will only solve it in some time.
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Raymond:

Try this on one of the W2K3 machines:

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/18446.html

Let us know.

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

As the above post.From the following link :
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/18446.html

We can Install ProLiant Advanced System Management Controller Driver for Windows. But won't that be the part of the Proliant Support Pack.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Remon van Gijn
Frequent Advisor

For some reason as soon as a DL380G3 with fan trouble is brought up people start refering to the 360 cases. These are not comparable.

My server data (total 9 single with same issue, 2x Packaged clusters):
HW:
Proliant DL380G3 1gb ram, 3.06 Xeon 1xCPU
Redundant fans set installed
Redundant PW supply installed
3x U320 drives 36Gb 15k rpm drives, Raid 1 + hotspare
DVD-CDRW combo drive
Scsi Memory write back cache installed
ILo Advanced activated

Bios : 4.06 31-10-2003 (yes, there now is a newer one, still same issue)
Smartarray bios: 2.58
IlO fw : 1.50
MS Windows 2000 std Server SP4
Hotfixes: until April 13th 2004
Insight Manager agents 7.0.0 Sp (17-12-2003)

Symptoms:
High fan speed although server room 20C and server temps all low.
Analyses:
Hp Proliant server advanced man. driver not loaded/ installed. HP Ilo Advanced man, driver is loaded, but that does not control speeds.
Attemps:
-Resinstall whole IM sp-> driver not loaded
-Uninstall snmp, reinstall snmp,Install IM agents-> result: driver not loaded
-Manually selected driver and install-> Driver install program reports no need to install driver...

Reported as official case to HP: No. Not yet. Server serial nr's can be supplied if required.

Sure hope we can figure this one out guys.
Andreas Bauer on this same forum has the exact same issues, and these have not been resolved either with HP help he wrote to me.
Raymond_57
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for all the help guys.

I re-installed the Proliant Support Pack 7.0 and updated the BIOS before I posted the forum. The fans still run at full speed 100% of the time. It's a good thing that our two dozen or so DL380 G3 servers are scattered around the city in sets of two and not consolidated in one room. The noise that this server puts out is rediculous. We have an IBM MainFrame that runs much quieter than these little measly HP DL380 G3 servers. I understand that HP is working on the problem. I will just wait until a patch or BIOS update is available. I will continue to check the forum in case anybody else has any ideas that I have not tried already.

Thanks again.