1748041 Members
4923 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ubuntu Linux on DL360 G5

stakk

Ubuntu Linux on DL360 G5

Hi all,

I'm trying to install Ubuntu Linux 6.06 on an HP DL360 G5. The installation freezes aber the Language Selection - I think it's some Hardware issue.

So I tried the newest daily build of 6.10, and it stops fails loading the Kernel modules. The installation goes on, but I can't install to the hard drive.

I think I'm missing some drivers in the Kernel...

Any Idea what I could do? I know that I should go to some Linux forum, but maybe someone here has experienced the same problem so...

Thanks for any answer
Stephan
5 REPLIES 5
Sajith Shams
Occasional Advisor

Re: Ubuntu Linux on DL360 G5

Hi Stephan,

Ubuntu is a great linux flavour, but i'm not sure if the same will be supported by the DL360 G5. The quick specs for the server indicates that it supports only the following flavours(Red Hat, SuSE, UnitedLinux). please check the link. http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12476_div/12476_div.html

cheers!
Saji
"There are only 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand Binary and those who dont"
stakk

Hi,

thanks for the link to the support matrix.
Well of cource HP officially only supports these commercial Linux ditributions...

But Debian/Ubuntu run fine on several HP servers here.

Now I need it to run on this G5... I think the problem is the SA P400i Controller which is, as far as I know, supported as of Kernel 2.6.18 and don't think any of these distros has it.

I will try to find a way... Any hints are welcome ;)
Eduardo Seixas

Hello,

You should have to install in advanced mode and skip the keyboard configuration.

You won't be able to detect the network adapater, but after the first boot, the network will detect.
stakk

Thanks, that would be worth a try.
The server is installed on OpenSuSE now, but it may help others :-)
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

As noted, Ubuntu is a Debian variant, so you (and others) may be interested in the information at http://www.hp.com/go/debian --> ProLiant servers