1753454 Members
6380 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Using SSD as cache for RAID array in DL980 G7

Swordsman20
Occasional Contributor

Using SSD as cache for RAID array in DL980 G7

I am looking at purchasing a used HP DL980 G7 server with 8 10-core E7-4780 processors.  It is to be used for engineering simulation calculations requiring an SMP configuration, as opposed to a distributed-memory setup like a traditional cluster.  This setup will give me 80 physical cores across 8 processors, 512GB of RAM, running Centos 6.8.

I have eight (8) 2.5" hot swap drive bays available, 7 if I reserve one for a standalone boot drive.  I would like to use the others in a RAID 5 array and employ an SSD as a giant drive cache for the RAID array, which though fast compared to a single drive (reading, anyway) will be slow compared to just about any SSD.  The system comes with an HP Smart Array P410i - 1024MB, which supports both SAS drives at 12Gb/s and SATA at 6.0 Gb/s.

I am OK with using one of the 2.5" bays for the SSD and connecting it through the RAID controller but could also install a separate PCIe-based drive, though this system only supports PCIe 2.0. 

Does anyone have any good advice on the best way to accomplish what I want to do?  In addition to fast access in a read environment (write is less important in this case), I would like to have as large a capacity as I can overall without going to a separate drive array.  I am willing to swap out the RAID card if that is required and am also looking at XFS as a possibility.