108722 Solutions
New Discussion

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus Memory Compatibility

SOLVED
Go to solution
carotenefox
Visitor

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus Memory Compatibility

I am building a VMWare ESXi home lab and I ordered a HPE PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN10 PLUS XEON E-2224 - 3.4 GHZ 16GB from https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk.  Bundled in was an upgrade for £138.97 for HPE SmartMemory 16GB DDR4 2666MHz DIMM Memory.  However I get a message when I install the DIMM it tells me that it is incompatible memory.  I took the existing 16Gb module out and booted it just with the single module and it still told me it was incompatible.  

This was marketed by the vendor as a "Recommended Accessory" and now they are refusing to honour my consumer rights in the UK to return this.  See this picture

Here is a picture of both of the memory modules - the one that came with the machine (PC4-2666V-EE1-11) and the one that I ordered (PC4-2666v-RE2-12).

What is the problem with this memory and how do I figure out what is compatible?  If this is not a compatible module I need to know why so I can go back and argue that I should be entitled to a refund or a replacement for a compatible part. 

4 REPLIES 4
StorageMike
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus Memory Compatibility

Hi

Supported memory is listed here. https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=a00028528en_us

That model isn't on the supported list

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

carotenefox
Visitor

Thank you.  Then they are misselling the item by describing it as a recommended accessory.  

Floyd71
Advisor

As you may see, the first memory is REGISTERED module, and original one which arrived with Server is unbuffered.

If you have a look on the Hynix nomenclature you will understand

hma82gR7cjr8n-vk (registered)

mha82gU7cj8rn-vk (unbuffered)

As far as I know, this, registered module will not work with HPE Microserver Gen10 plus.

As well, the part number is not same. 

The soltion solved link is not showing correct memory part number. 

Actually only P/N 879507-B21 is correct one memory module of 16Gb to bought with this server, or go to alternative soution such as Micron, Kingston... but you might be carefull to take part number among many choices which will work on HPE server (such as Kingston KTH-PL426E/16G). 

Floyd71
Advisor

The link provided is wrong as it is referring to HPE Microserver Gen 10, but the question is about HPE Microserver Gen 10 plus.

Correct link with the P/N list is: 

Document - HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus | HPE Support

Anyhow, only 2 memory modules match 

879505-B21   ---   HPE 8GB (1x8GB) Single Rank x8 DDR4-2666 CAS-19-19-19 Unbuffered Standard Memory Kit
879507-B21   ---   HPE 16GB (1x16GB) Dual Rank x8 DDR4-2666 CAS-19-19-19 Unbuffered Standard Memory Kit

Be sure that you are populating DIMM slots as indicated, I am not sure if mixed modules will work (such as 16 + 8 Gb or so).

There are some text which says it will work with 32 Gb modules (of independend manufacturers (as this processors supports such quantity of memory), even without ECC. Advice is, if you go on that way, to use same sticks (size and type) of memory in both slots.

p.s. 

also, according to Document - HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus Maintenance and Service Guide | HPE Support there are DIMM spare parts as follows

Description Spare part number
P06772-001   ---   8 GB, single-rank x8 PC4-2666V-E 
P06773-001   ---   16 GB, dual-rank x8 PC4-2666V-E