Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microserver Gen10 hangs on boot

A1lexis
Occasional Visitor

Microserver Gen10 hangs on boot

Hello,

I have a Microserver Gen10, the server has a OS disk which is connected to SATA-Port 5. If I remove the two data disks, then I can boot the server without errors. The error occurs also if only on data disks is connected.

The error occurs first after a restart of Windows Server 2016 Essentials.

The Server shows only the HPE logo and the number 92 in the right bottom corner, it isn’t possible to enter the BIOS or boot menu. After pressing ALT + TAB the server shows the help text and after pressing F2 the message enter setup is shown, but nothing happens.

Before the error I installed Windows and tried the Marvell controller to build a RAID for data disks, but I removed the Marvell RAID-Volume and switched to Windows Storage Spaces.

3 REPLIES
A1lexis
Occasional Visitor

Re: Microserver Gen10 hangs on boot

I fixed the problem, I connected both data disks to a other computer and cleaned the disks with diskpart.

But I don’t have any clue what was the cause.

bosko1333
Occasional Visitor

I have similar problems!

In my case some sata disks works and some does not. WD Red 1TB (filled with data) works fine, but my old disk Maxtor 120GB (empty and formated) cause blackscreen (in legacy mode) or HPE logo loop (in uefi mode).

After long time of waiting on blackscreen and pressing del or f11, server has finnaly come to setup utility. I searched for Sata connections, but regardless of 2 connected HDDs, there were no visible sata drives in sata configuration menu.

ebbex
Occasional Visitor

Enable SMART on your drives. Boot from a usb-stick with smartmontools installed, "hot-plug" in your drives, "smartctl -s on /dev/sdX".