1748251 Members
3820 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Why isn't it working?

Jeremy D Pavleck
Occasional Advisor

Why isn't it working?

Ok, simple question - my SIM installation doesn't seem to be working.
Sure, everything looks fine - all the servers are trusted, etc etc.

But if we cause a hardware failure, they will trap to the old Compaq Insight Manager 5, but not to SIM - and oddly enough the trap destinations aren't even setup in SNMP to trap there, but to my SIM server - so please, someone, any ideas?

I've read every single documentation I can find, and nothing is getting me closer on this! ARGH!
11 REPLIES 11
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

SNMP needs to be configured on the non-HPSIM servers to point to the HPSIM Server.

The agents on the servers send traps to HPSIM. HPSIM doesn't just pick them up, it only pings servers to determine connectivity.

If the traps are going to the old box then SNMP is still incorrect.
Jeremy D Pavleck
Occasional Advisor

True, I understand that, and they are setup to send traps to HPSIM, but it seems they aren't doing it.

If I go to the remote machine and configure the event notification program to send an email, and then force an error by pulling out a drive - I'll get the email, but no trap.

Is there anything else HPSIM side I should be looking at?
Matthew J Warrick
Frequent Advisor

What happens when you send a test trap?

Verify your SNMP config.
Check firewalls, even the builtin Windows Firewall.

Is you trap destination a hostname or an IP address? Is it resolving properly?
"Did you get that memo?"
Jeremy D Pavleck
Occasional Advisor

When I send a test trap... Nothing happens. It says "Successful", but nothing in SIM.

If I setup the Event Notifier Config (Start > Program Files > HP Management Agents) I receive an email from THAT, but as you can imagine I don't want to setup each individual server like that.

The server I'm trapping to can be resolved, but I also tried using the IP and the FQDN, just in case. Still, nothing - any more ideas?

The only things on the SIM server that would make a difference are whether or not the OS is configured to receive and process SNMP traps, and that SIM is configured to recognize the community string. I'm sure you are on top of those things though.

If those two things aren't an issue, I find it interesting that the old CIM 5 server is receiving the traps still though you say your servers are not set up to send traps there.

I'd say if you focused on that it might help you find your answer. Is there something in the network grabbing the traps and redirecting them? SIM can be set to forward the traps, but that's something you would have had to set up yourself. Ultimately though, if the traps are showing up somewhere OTHER then where you've explicitly configured them to go that may be the root of your problem.
Jeremy D Pavleck
Occasional Advisor

Yep, everything seems fine. Here's all I've done:

Upgraded SIM to SP4
Upgraded SIM agents to newest revision.
Upgraded test machine agents to newest revision

As per the manual,
Deploy > Deploy FIrmware/Agents/etc > Initial Proliant Support Pack.
Configure > Configure or Repair Agents

Rebooted both SIM and test machine.
Shut down every unnecessary service on SIM server

The only thing I can think of, that I don't understand, is when I do "Configure or Repair Agents" I'm receiving a minor error, which says:
"No valid path to talk to CIMOM for devmonitor01"

Details:

Failed to create indication subscription

Other then that, everything is as planned.

I can poll the SIM device, SNMP is working. A netstat shows both snmp and snmptrap being up.

I was wrong RE: the older version of CIM - it was set to poll devices, so it didn't actually trap to it, it polled then alerted.

I've attached an output os pslist, showing all the processes in use. Remember there are 2 users logged in, so that will account for the doubles on some of these - if anyone can see an anomaly, I'd love to hear it.

Ok, maybe I'm not understanding what you're expecting. When you say CIM 5 polled and alerted, but SIM isn't receiving traps that is two seperate events/processes.

Are you not seeing an Event in SIM to coorespond with the expected SNMP trap, or are you seeing the Event but no change in Hardware Status, or is it yet some other behavior you are expecting but not seeing?
Jeremy D Pavleck
Occasional Advisor

What's happening is that although SNMP functionality seems to be working fine on the HP SIM server, and all settings are correct, it's simply not receiving the SNMP Traps. Not even if I run the Trap Test from the Management Agents will it receive it.

It doesn't show up anywhere - it's as if it gets swallowed up and discarded.

As you can imagine, it's pretty frustrating. More so then you think hehe

****** BEGIN QUOTE ******
Ok, maybe I'm not understanding what you're expecting. When you say CIM 5 polled and alerted, but SIM isn't receiving traps that is two seperate events/processes.

Are you not seeing an Event in SIM to coorespond with the expected SNMP trap, or are you seeing the Event but no change in Hardware Status, or is it yet some other behavior you are expecting but not seeing?
****** END QUOTE ******
Jonathan Daniels
Occasional Contributor

Do you see the snmp data arriving at the SIM server using tcpdump, eg:

tcpdump | grep MANAGED_AGENT_IP

Also, are you sure SNMP on the managed agent server is using the correct conf file?