1753776 Members
7341 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ai0600 backup failing errors

Ron Freswick
Frequent Advisor

Ai0600 backup failing errors

I get the following errors on the Storage Works Ai0600. When this happens I lose the tape device I have setup to go to our VLS1000i. Consequently our backup does not work. This is the only server to have this problem. I have 5 other servers that are using the vls100i that are working perfectly.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: HP All-in-One Storage Manager (Server)
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 5/22/2007
Time: 2:44:13 PM
User: N/A
Computer: JS1
Description:
BM:BackupSupport is failing

Event Type: Warning
Time: 2:44:13 PM
Computer: JS1
Description:
Error during Backup discovery.

Event Type: Error
Time: 3:44:27 PM
Computer: Js1
Description:
BM:BackupSupport is failing

7 REPLIES 7
Carlton Bickford
Occasional Advisor

Re: Ai0600 backup failing errors

Hi Ron,

Did you by any chance recently apply AiO Service Release 1.2? There have been some cases where an incomplete upgrade occurs, and would result in the errors you are seeing. If you have recently performed the upgrade, I recommend you call HP support as they can provide guidance and missing script files that will get your backups working.
JLGuinn

I am also seeing this error every 5 seconds or so. Only way to stop it is to stop the AIO storage manager server.

Anyone have a possible solution to this ?
ndacoig

I am also experiencing this issue and can't seem to find a solution, has anyone figured this message out?
Thomas Dupont

I am also having this issue, and it seems to be causing issue with my BackupExec and Doubletake services running on this machine. I get this message just before those services crash.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Carlton Bickford
Occasional Advisor

The "BackupSupport is failing" message will occur if Data Protector Express (DPX) is uninstalled. You may not want to use the integrated DPX, in fact I see at least one user here using BackupExec. But at least for the current release of AiO, DPX must be installed to avoid the message in the event log. You may reinstall DPX by running the installer (the .exe) at C:\hpnas\components\DPX. After re-installing DPX, please also run the AddAsmBackupUser.cmd batch file. This adds the ASMbackup DPX user that is used for AiO integration.

There are other reasons that the backup discovery may fail. "Discovery" is the All-in-One storage manager discovering necessary information regarding the storage environment and installed apps, etc. This happens every hour, or whenever an event of interest (e.g. a new logical disk added) occurs. So for the person seeing the error every 5 seconds or so, there is some other problem causing discovery to repeat continuously. Using a dynamic disk will cause this.

In general, if your problem is not addressed by the above, it would be helpful to have more info. The Data section of the message in the event log will have more info. Scroll down until you see the "-Exception.. -Message:" part and see what the message is.

Ron Freswick
Frequent Advisor

Ok. One issue I tracked down was that the server time was off by about 4 minutes. I set the server to sync to our time server. Now I still get the following

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: All-in-One Storage Manager (Server)
Date: 3/31/2008
Time: 7:00:50 AM
Computer: JHSS1
Description:

the error is
Exception- Message: 'get JobList.pl' script returned error code 1004..
This is happening every 63 minutes.
CSI Robert Olson
Occasional Contributor

I have a VLS1000i that has failed the raid, but cannot find the Diagnostics/Recovery CD and HP Tech support is having problem finding an image/CD. Does anyone have a reference of where to get one of these?