4608 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Hard Disk Testing Utility

CA1054564

Hard Disk Testing Utility

Dear All,
Seem to be getting lots of dmio errors in event log:-
{Lost Delayed-Write Data} The system was attempting to transfer file data from buffers to . The write operation failed, and only some of the data may have been written to the file.

I have my suspicions about one of the disks and I want to run a utility to check the disk for soft errors etc, is there such a utility on the hp site?

thanks
Simon
5 REPLIES 5
CA1028844
Trusted Contributor

Re: Hard Disk Testing Utility

If you merely wish to check the integrity of the filesystem, run the CHKDSK command against that filesystem.

Are you in a SAN configuration? If you lose connectivity to one of the LUNs, even if just temporarily, this can also cause delayed write errors. (You will want to check your event log for other errors, such as CPQKGPSA timeout errors, or other HBA errors, etc.)

If this is an HP Windows NAS server (i.e. 1000s, b2000, b3000, e7000, 1200s, 2000s, 4000s, 9000s) then you can also check the CIM agents to see if any of the drives (or other hardware components) is throwing pre-failure warnings.
CA1054564

Kevin,
Thanks for the help - I have disabled some of the Network Redirector Caching as there is talk of that causing the problems. I had a look for the CIM agents for the NAS boxes its a 1tb 1000s and have not been able to get them installed, I will have another go.

I remember a while back running an IBM disk checking app on an IBM xSeries and it reported such stats as number of soft errors and helped identify a failing drive. Does HP have anything similar?

Regards
Simon
CA1067288

Just an FYI. There are no CIM agents loaded on the 1000s. This server in not an HP based system, but rather an OEM server. Installing CIM on the 1000s in not advised.
CA1028844
Trusted Contributor

Unfortunately, you cannot use the CIM agents on the 1000S. As Chuck mentioned, the platform is not a ProLiant, so the sensors and other functionality are not present in the system.

In addition, it appears that the PATA (Parallel ATA) drives used in the 1000S do not have sensors in them (or at least, if they do, we can't seem to find a way to access them). The drives do not track or measure statistics like the HP SCSI drives do.

(HP's SCSI drives do have sensors in them, which track things like number of sectors read, number of sectors written, number of soft errors, number of retries, hours of operation, thermal conditions, etc. The administrator can use the CIM agents to access and display this information. So, for example, the B2000 and 2000S products can display this kind of information, on a drive-by-drive basis.)

There are built-in tests in the BIOS you can use to test the drives. You would need to schedule downtime, as you have to reboot the server. Once the AMI splash screen comes up, you hit the F2 button to enter a maintenance menu. Once in there, I believe it is the third option over (to the right) that tests IDE drives. In those menus, you can choose which tests to run, can configure test parameters, and can determine which drives to run them on. They will display if they find any errors, etc.

Other than that, I don't know of any way to test specific drives for hardware errors.
CA1054564

Ah well one of the disks started having errors yesterday so we have swapped out the disk and it seems happier. For the life of me I cant seem to be able to regenerate the boot mirrored volume though the data is safe. Shall have a look into getting the boot volume mirrored again.
Thanks for all your help.

Regards
Simon