New Discussion юеВ

Re: Extend vg without onlineJFS

SOLVED
Go to solution
ITSD-ACCS
Frequent Advisor

Extend vg without onlineJFS

Hi,

I heard that if my system does not have OnlineJFS installed, when I extend the VG, I got to boot to single user mode. Is that true ? and does any thing to do in cluster configuration ?

Thanks
12 REPLIES 12
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

That's not exactly true. You can extend the VG online. However, when you go to extend the file system that is contained within the logical volume within the VG, you have to unmount the filesystem. Sometimes the only way to get that filesystem unmounted is to go to single user mode. If you can unmount the FS while online, then you're all set. Have a look at the EXAMPLES section of the man page for lvextend.

Pete

Pete
ITSD-ACCS
Frequent Advisor

What if this mount point is a cluster shared VG ?
Piergiacomo Perini
Trusted Contributor

Hi,
as far as i know
you have to boot to single user mode if you
want extend a lvol/FS like "/var" or "/" that are in VG00.

hth
regards
pg
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Adding A Disk To A Volume Group In A ServiceGuard Package
DocId: UXSGLVKBAN00000002 Updated: 20060605

US
http://www2.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000083137077

Europe
http://www4.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000083137077

Regards,
Robert-Jan
Sp4admin
Trusted Contributor

Like Pete said,

If you can umount it you can extend it. for example /var or /tmp you need to go into singal user mode. If its a fs that the application is using then you would have to stop the app and umount. You the fuser command to see waht accessing the fs.

sp,
IT_2007
Honored Contributor

If filesystem is not part of vg00 then you don't have to boot into single user mode. You can do it online by unmounting it and extend. Which filesystem are you talking about like oracle, SAP etc..?
ITSD-ACCS
Frequent Advisor

This is an Oracle FS, and is also a cluster VG. The fact is, it will umount automatically when I shutdown the app by cmhaltpkg. Please help if I can still do it online ?
NMory
Respected Contributor

The vgextend command assigns additional physical volumes to volume group. The volume group must be active.

Volume groups are extended by adding one or more physical volumes.

After the physical volumes have been successfully added to the volume group, the disk space they contain can be allocated to logical volumes.

You can extend your logical volumes and VGs online, but not the file systems if you don't have OnlineJFS.

Basically if you don't have OnlineJFS there is no way to do that online. You will need to umount the filesystems in order to extend it. And sometimes the only way to umount it is to boot into single user mode. Try to umount online before booting into single user mode. All I/O into the file system have to be stopped in order to umount it (not busy).

LN
ITSD-ACCS
Frequent Advisor

As said, the extend FS will be << umount >> by cmhaltpkg and I don't need to do it online. My concern is whether I need to do it using Single User mode.