5688 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DS10/HSZ80 errors

Adrian Graham_1
Regular Advisor

DS10/HSZ80 errors

Folks,

I'm sure I'm missing something here because this kit DID work, but 2 years ago.

Hardware: MA2200 controller shelf containing 2xHSZ80 + cache + batteries, ACS V85Z. 4 disk shelves all happy with LUNs configured. Only port 1 in use on each controller, host IDs (0,1,2,3,4), dual redundant.

Alpha DS10 (latest firmware) with KZPBA-CY (replacement to KZPBA-CB), full set of terminators on board, SCSI id 5, soft_term off. BN38C-02 cable to top controller, trilink in place with jumper cable to bottom controller trilink, differential terminator.

Controllers are SCSI ID 6 and 7, defaults.

The DS10 can't see any LUNS from the HSZ80s and the error log is full of 'I/O error on PKA0' entries with a hex dump, which I'd normally put down to a termination problem. If I boot a VMS 7.3 CD I get hundreds of errors logged against PKA0.

I've swapped controllers, cables, trilinks, terminators, KZPBA-CYs, used a 4100 and DS25 instead of a DS10, even tried a KZPSA full-size diff controller, that errors too.

This stuff is supported according to Product Bulletin, so what am I missing? The cabling is correct as per the manual, there's really only 1 way of configuring the controllers, the LUNs are online. Like I say, it DID work 2 years ago, I had a complete running system!

This must be something really easy, like forgetting to set the unit_id on HSG80s :)

Anyone?

Cheers

Adrian

3 REPLIES 3
Duncan Morris
Honored Contributor

Adrian,

looks like a good problem description!

Can you back up your report with the current configurations:

i..e. on the Alpha SHOW CONFIG and SHOW PK*

and on the HSZ, SHOW THIS and SHOW OTHER etc?

Thanks,

Duncan

Adrian Graham_1
Regular Advisor

Hi Duncan,

Just fixed it after flattening my forehead on a workbench - change the controllers to SCSI-3 instead of the default of SCSI-2 and suddenly all is well with the world.

*bangs head*

Cheers

Adrian

Bob Blunt
Respected Contributor

Adrian, just for clarity...did you say that you had terminators ON the SCSI adapter which connects to a trilink AND terminators on the trilink and the cable end, too?  In the clusters I've setup I've used the trilinks and external terminators to make it possible to disconnect a system from the SCSI cabling so have eliminated all termination on the boards leaving that job to terminators on Y-cables at each end of the bus.

bob