108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ESX 5.5 and NCM

SOLVED
Go to solution
J Benway
Advisor

ESX 5.5 and NCM

I have 12 ESX host connected to a single nimble head with an additional drive self. I've been running this config for awhile, before NCM was around.

I noticed that now the nimble vcenter plugin alerts me that I'm not using the NCM. Should I be? should I go and install it on my existing host?

If so what should I look out for since the host is already connected to the nimble storage head.  I'm running 2.3.9.2-303808

I think we do have the NCM installed on a windows box on our Dev nimble box, I'll have to check

jb

3 REPLIES 3
rugby0134
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Yes you should install NCM on the ESXi host. You need to have automatic mode enable on the array for it to function correctly. Once installed, it will monitor paths, connections, and changes to your nimble and make changes for you if links are added or removed.  If you already have NCM on windows, then automatic mode should be enabled.

It a simple process of placing server in maintenance mode and running the esxcli install command. then taking it out of maintenance mode.

J Benway
Advisor

Thanks, the windows box is on our dev nimble.

Does enabling automatic mode on the nimble require a reboot or will existing host lose connection?

Thanks,jb

Nick_Dyer
Honored Contributor

Automatic Mode does not require rebooting anything; but paths will start to drop as it starts to try and rebalance connections - so make sure NCM is installed everywhere host-side before you make the change.

Nick Dyer
twitter: @nick_dyer_