Array Performance and Data Protection
1753736 Members
4689 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

VMFS with general or specific performance policy?

TBG_IT
Visitor

VMFS with general or specific performance policy?

Good morning, I have a question regarding VMFS datastores on a Nimble Storage Array. We are currently using VMware vSphere 6.7, integrated with our Nimble HF40 Storage Array. We already have numerous virtual machines running flawlessly on this setup.

However, we have some more virtual machines we would like to run on this environment and some of these machines will be running SQL or even Exchange. If we use the Nimble addon in our vSphere to create a VMFS datastore, it is not possible to choose a different performance policy. I did some research, but so far I did not get a definitive answer if we actually *need* a different performance policy? It seems the ESX5 performance policy is a good general best practice, however usually when building SQL or Exchange servers, block sizes would need to be aligned for best performance and reliablity.

When we want to create SQL or Exchange VM's, do we still need to create specific datastores with different block sizes (and if so, what would be the best course of action), or would the general ESX5 performance policy suffice?

Kind regards