1752795 Members
6250 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ESXi NCM Causing ESXi not to boot

tkutil115
Occasional Contributor

ESXi NCM Causing ESXi not to boot

I'm building new hosts using esxi6.7u2 from Dell and all works fine until i install the NCM and then the esxi host will not finish booting. The last message on the DCUI is that NFS client has loaded successfully. I am installing NCM from update manager and using NCM 6.1.0-650002. I did find a post somewhere about Update Manager not pointing to the correct install and recommended using this command instead to install, but not sure if this is relevent to the correct version to use.

esxcli software vib install -d http://update.nimblestorage.com/esx6.5/ncm

Anyone else have this issue? Any fixes?

5 REPLIES 5
mamatadesaiNim
HPE Blogger

Hello!

Are you using VUM or using the command line?

Under VUM --> Settings --> Administration Settings --> Patch Setup --> Make sure you have an entry for NCM with download source as this URL: https://update.nimblestorage.com/esx6.5/ncm/index.xml

Under VUM --> Updates --> Filter by vendor "Nimble" and you should see an update entry like this, clearly showing you 6.7 as well.

• Name: Nimble Connection Manager
  • ID: nimble-ncm-6.1.0-650002
  • ESXi Version: 6.5.*, 6.7.*
  • Release Date: 8/28/19, 5:00 PM

Please let us know!

--m

HPE Nimble Storage
mamatadesaiNim
HPE Blogger

If you are using Dell custom ESXi image, we will need you to open a support case - please email support@nimblestorage.com and provide us your ESXi vm-support logs.

HPE Nimble Storage
mamatadesaiNim
HPE Blogger

When you get a chance, please post the output of this command as well.  Thanks!

vmkfstools -P `ls -l /bootbank | awk -F"-> " '{print $2}'`

HPE Nimble Storage
Vatsal

Hi Mamata,

What is this regarding? Can you please provide more info - I am just starting new project with customized dell version using nimble - is there something thing specific I need to look out for or avoid?

Thanks,

Vatsal

Nimble_Steven_N
Occasional Advisor

@Vatsal We do not know yet without looking at the logs. We would need to verify if NCM is causing an incorrect boot order or a hang. The previous command she specified will tell us the boot configuration of the host.