108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: how to setup snapshots to tape

SOLVED
Go to solution
lowell-ls110
Occasional Contributor

how to setup snapshots to tape

We have a Dell NAS 124t, and my boss wants me to find out how we can put the snapshots to tape, I'm new to this and still learning if anyone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance Chip.

5 REPLIES 5
chris24
Respected Contributor
Solution

Hello,

This is possible with third party software, you can use traditional backup products such as Backup Exec, Veeam or Commvault.

Many thanks,

Chris

Edit: I should point out that you don't backup the actual Nimble snapshots, these are array recovery specific only. However Veeam / BackupExec will leverage VMware snapshots while Commvault ties in a lot closer with the Array and allows snapshot management.

lowell-ls110
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Chris

lowell-ls110
Occasional Contributor

Oh by the way my boss's name is Chris and in a hurry today I responded inappropriately, sorry about that Chris Aylott,

Again thank you for your answer, I'm starting to get the idea how Nimble, Backup Exec and vSphere  work, again I'm new at this and finding it a worth while and challenging project.

jpmeredith
Occasional Advisor

I believe Commvault's Simpana (or however you spell it) product can talk directly to a Nimble array and backup snapshots, but I'm not 100% sure.

marktheblue45
Valued Contributor

Hi Lyman,

We use Commvault to leverage Nimble array based snaps indifferent ways on our clients sites. The basic Commvault IRM product allows you to snap and replicate VM's and indexes the contents. The full blown Simpana suite lets you do the above and set storage policies to stream the backups to tape. We particularly like the Exchange\SQL agents on VM's with In-Guest iSCSI DB and Log drives to again leverage the Integrated Snap and Replicate feature. Takes the load of you LAN traffic by indexing the snaps over the storage Network.