Array Setup and Networking
1745858 Members
4656 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

So whats everyone using for switching and servers?

SOLVED
Go to solution
jwagner137
Advisor

So whats everyone using for switching and servers?

I'm curious what folks are using for their ISCSI switching and servers? If you dont want to say that's fine. Just trying to get a feel for what others are using and maybe what you like and don't like about them.

We are looking at a few different server and switch vendors and haven't settled on any particular vendor yet.

Thanks in advance.

John

32 REPLIES 32
ryanhoman100

Re: So whats everyone using for switching and servers?

Using Cisco 3750x and HP A5500 for switching. I like the gui on the HP switches better than the cisco as you can complete most functions without needing to know command line.

Using HP DL380 servers for VMware. The new gen8 series have tons of sensors and run a lot cooler than the older series.

jonathan_dee_ha

For switching we use Cisco's Catalyst 4510r with WS-X4748-UPOE+E linecards for GigE and WS-X4712-SFP+E linecards for 10GigE.  We have always used Cisco gear in our data center, but the upgrade to the chassis-based 4510r switch has been great; very robust and versatile. We use IBM x3550 servers in out VMware environment, which is primarily what our Nimble array is dedicated to.  All of our other servers are IBM xSeries from different generations.

jliu79
Frequent Advisor

We are a HP shop. We use ProCurve line switches. For server we use Proliant DL360 G7. HP servers are the best in my opinion and their support is excellent. We also have a IBM BladeCenter which gives us a lot of trouble and IBM support really sucks.

dejvnull49
Advisor

Hi all!

We're using HP DL360's and DL380's Gen 8 servers. On the switching side, we were a bit on a budget, so we went over pretty much every 10GB switch available... we ended up with Netgear's 10GB switches, which after som initial issues and quirks are actually running fine. The reason we chose them is that we could get four switches instead of two, so now we have two switches in each DC fully redundant. I also have a fantastic technician who is networking agnostic. He'll make anything work as we want it to.

The biggest caveats with Netgear is getting to 3rd line support. 1st line are useless and just loop you around. Getting 3rd line and the issues are usually solved like with most others like Juniper, HP etc...

/Dave

nelson49

For the network that connects our SANs and VMware Servers we are using Dell PowerConnect 5524 switches. For our core network we are using HP ProCurve 2800 series switches.

For our servers we currently use Dell PE R610.  This year, though, we have switched to a company named ByteSpeed for computers and our next round of servers will most likely come from them too.  They provide 5 year warranties on desktops and servers as a standard and use name brand components (mostly Intel).

We haven't had any issues that I am aware of. 

roddy_pimentel

We are using Dell PowerEdge Servers R720's, Cisco 3750X for iSCSI and Cisco 4506 Blade for Server Side Switching.

We almost went all Dell, but I don't know.  Just a fondness for Cisco and being very familiar with the CLI.

ageiger3171
Occasional Advisor

We are using Dell M620 blades and Cisco B200 M2/3s.  The Dell servers access our arrays through a pair of Force10 MXL switches uplinked to a pair of Cisco Nexus 5548s.  The UCS servers connect up through the FI to the Nexus 5548 pairs.

Both have setups have worked pretty well.  The Nexus and Force10 switches have their own peculiarities with the molded twinax cables though.

kevin_kumpf

We're using mostly the Nexus line from Cisco for switching and a variety of R"XXX" servers from Dell.  From a compatibility standpoint, I can't think of a single issue we've had related to Nimble/Cisco/Dell not playing together nicely.

jwagner137
Advisor

Kevin,

Which cisco switches if you don't mind me asking?

We are looking at 3 dell R720s with 2 Cisco 4900M's (1Gb throughout) to a CS260 and CS220.

John