4639 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Storageworks 1/8 has timeout on startup

Martin Mannsbart_1
Occasional Contributor

Storageworks 1/8 has timeout on startup

Hi!

when trying to connect a Storageworks 1/8 ultrium autoloader to my Proliant ml530 to the external connector I get a timeout.

when I however, connect the device to an old Proliant 1600 it is discovered.

The library is the only device on the channel and is terminated properly.
I use the cable supplied, just added an adapterto connect to the vhdci connector on the server.

any ideas?

thx
6 REPLIES 6
CA964274

Re: Storageworks 1/8 has timeout on startup

Hi,

Not sure what you mean by timeout, what is the message and from where? What are the differences in the two systems, operating system, HBA, HBA driver?
Martin Mannsbart_1
Occasional Contributor

The error message is a timout-message (not sure about the exact reading as I'm not there at the moment) when SCSI-bus is scanned on server startup. (something like timout on scsi bus 2)

the scsi-controller SHOULD work with the library (it's the standard ultra wide 3 vhdci connector on the rear panel of the ml530)

not sure about the differences of the controllers of the 2 servers.

operating systems and drivers should not matter as the problem starts before the OS loads

CA832030

Are the scsi cards, for example lvd, and FW. Sometimes the SCSI devices will not downgrade for all situations.
SITYS (See, I told you so).
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

Sounds like you're connecting to the on board controller. Suggest trying a different card such as the 29160.
"You can't lead the orchestra without turning your back to the crowd"
CA964274

Yes, my ML530 has unlabelled SCSI connector on the back. I tried it, it turned out to be HVDS not LVDS. Other ML and DL servers are labelled correctly. Sorry for the confusion.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

If you have a terminator with an LED on it handy plug it onto the connector on your ML530 and see if the LED goes out. If so you have an HVD bus and cannot use with with a 1/8.