108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BL460C Interconnect Bays problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Khurram Shahzad
Regular Advisor

BL460C Interconnect Bays problem

Hi i have BLade system c7000 enclosure. I have 10 bl460c servers now i want to establish the network connectivity. I have 4 HP BLc Bnt 1GbE2 Switch Opt Kit available.

The connectivity criteria given in an hp guide is that for half height blade servers e.g

Server 1 NIC1 will be connected to Interconnect Bay 1 and port N, the NIC2 will be connected to Interconnect Bay 1 and port N+8. This means port number 9, since n means the server number and port number in switch.

The problem is when I see the HP BLc Bnt 1GbE2 Switch it has only four ports available then how come the server NIC2 will connected to N+8 port.

Please can any guru help me in the LAN connectivity and also above mentioned issue.I would be highly obliged.
6 REPLIES 6
Raghuarch
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Khurram,

what you mentioned in the question is correct.Server 1 NIC1 will be connected to Interconnect Bay 1 and port N, the NIC2 will be connected to Interconnect Bay 1 and port N+8. This means port number 9, since n means the server number and port number in switch

But these are internal ports in the switch.
With just one up link from the HP BLc Bnt 1GbE2 Switch you can connect all the servers.

for the port mapping please refer to attachment.

Regards,
Raghuarch
Raghuarch
Honored Contributor

Hi Khurram,

Do refer to IO section and Ethernet Switches for more info on installing 4 HP BLc Bnt 1GbE2 Switch Opt Kit.

http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/cache/316682-0-0-0-121.html

Regards,
Raghuarch
Khurram Shahzad
Regular Advisor

Hi Raghuarch,
Thank for your information there is still some confusion, please help me you said that Bhese are internal ports in the switch.

With just one up link from the HP BLc Bnt 1GbE2 Switch you can connect all the servers.

So what i have understood that there are 5 uplink ports on BLc Bnt 1GbE2 any one of them connected to the Network switch will allow all the accossiated blades to connect with the network.

But if this is correct than what is the function of N+8 scenerio, as an administrator what i have to do with this scheme if these are internal ports of the switch.
Raghuarch
Honored Contributor

Hi Khurram,

I think this will give clear picture with port mapping.

i have blades system c7000 enclosure. I have 10 bl460c servers now i want to establish the network connectivity. I have 4 HP BLc Bnt 1GbE2 Switch Opt Kit available.

I am assuming you have inserted the 10 blades in slots 1 to 10 and 4 interconnects in slots 1 to 4.

Server 1: The 2 embedded Ethernet ENET 1 and ENET 2 on the server will Map to Interconnect bay 1 port 1 and Interconnect bay port 2.

You can get this info in Onboard Administrator. Select device bays and select Port mapping you will be able to see information for all the servers.

The below sentence is incorrect for your current configuration.

Server 1 NIC1 will be connected to Interconnect Bay 1 and port N, the NIC2 will be connected to Interconnect Bay 1 and port N+8. This means port number 9, since n means the server number and port number in switch.

Please refer to the help file in the Device bays --> Select Server ---> Port mapping screen of Onboard Administrator.

Regards,
Raghuarch
Khurram Shahzad
Regular Advisor

Thanks For your help.

One last question that why the N+1 statement is not applicable for my current configuration and where it would be applicable.........

Raghuarch
Honored Contributor

Hi Khurram,

Please refer to the help file in the Device bays --> Select Server ---> Port mapping screen of Onboard Administrator.
Also Read the associated links at the bottom of the help page.

Regards,
Raghuarch