1753705 Members
4900 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

BL465c - Modem Support for VM

sgunelius
Trusted Contributor

Good morning. I currently support a paging software solution on a VM that is hosted on a DL580 ESX host. The product uses network protocols (WCTP & SMTP) as the primary method for transmission of text messages, but it will also use TAP Dial-Up over modem as a failover method. The serial port and modem attached to the host are passed through to the VM. I want to migrate this VM to my new virtual infrastructure running on BL465c hosts, but am not sure what my options are for connecting an external modem to the BL465c. I don't have room in my chassis to accommodate a PCI Expansion Blade with internal modem and I doubt that using the serial port on the Blade SUV Cable is a good solution. I am considering a USB modem as an alternative to the serial modem currently in use. Has anyone had to use a similar solution with a BL465c-based host? Thank you in advance for your response.
2 REPLIES 2
chopper3
Frequent Advisor

The serial port in the 'w-cable' that connects to the front of blades is actually pretty good, obviously the connector is a bit flimsy but it's the same for the USB ports from that cable too. It's a pity you don't have the spare slot for the PCI-EB as that would be a much better solution.
sgunelius
Trusted Contributor

I think the cable may be the easiest solution to test. Has anyone out there attempted to support a USB modem connected to a blade server via the cable or the interface on the c7000 chassis?