4897 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: C7000 Strange Hardware Problem!

Matt Palmer_2
Respected Contributor

Hi,

that may be it, it basically runs the depth of the chassis(behind the metal plate on the left) and the cable from the Insight display connects to it at the front, then the rear part of it connects into the midplane assy.

regards

Matt
Shadders
Advisor

Hi Matt, #

Did HP come out & swap it for you? I have the service manual & its not (according to the guide) a customer replaceable part. As far as I can see - its going to be a major power down to swap it.

Thanks again for your help.

I'll let you know how things progress.

Regards
Steve
Shadders
Advisor

Hi Matt,

Did HP come out & swap it for you? I have the service manual & its not (according to the guide) a customer replaceable part. As far as I can see - its going to be a major power down to swap it.

Thanks again for your help.

I'll let you know how things progress.

Regards
Steve
Matt Palmer_2
Respected Contributor

Hi,

yep the entire chassis has to be powered down. I requested an engineer as I had never replaced it before and wasnt too sure about best practice, but as far as I know you can replace it yourself. You might need someone to help you removing the midplane first so you can see what you are doing.

I think theres only 4 screws to remove along the left hand side to swap the part out. As long as you are happy unplugging Insight display and midplane, you can probably sort yourself.

regards

Matt
Phil uk
Honored Contributor

@SteveCrang,
After you replaced the chassis, did you re-enter via CLI the Product Number, Serial Number of the Chassis, and the power configuration?
I'm no expert with VC, but i think the VC Domain is "linked" to the Chassis Serial Number.
Also, verify the Midplane is "squarely" seated as this can cause problems.
As you know, the Insight Panel slides left to right, check the cable behind the Panel hasn't been pinched, and that you have no bare wires showing as a result of the insulation being damaged as this can "short" the panel.
There is also, as previously mentioned by others, the connection between the Midplane and the PCB board on the side of the chassis which ultimately connects to the Insight display. If this is not "connected" properly, then you will have a blamk panel.
Try re-seating the Midplane a few times.
I think that strictly speaking, the Midplane is not a customer replaceable part, so probably best to get HP involved.
Regards,
Phil
Shadders
Advisor

OK,

Firstly, thanks for all your suggestions.

I replaced the front to back board - no change. I replaced display - no change. I replaced the midplane. Bingo. All back to life.

However.... The serial number has to be entered - if you dont put it in, there is still an option to read the config from the VC modules & commit to NVRAM. As it was 1am I did this.

Then - one of the FC-VC modules refused to communicate with the OA.

It turns out this was faulty. I personally think that this has 'locked' something on the midplane & stopped the OA's from communicating.

HP replaced the module & the whole enclosure is now fully functional.

Thanks again for all your efforts. If I could - I would award points - but it wasnt me who started the thread...

Regards
Steve