New Discussion юеВ

G200eh driver problem with BL460c G7 blade

DennisHerrick
Occasional Contributor

G200eh driver problem with BL460c G7 blade

Hi All:

I'd like to submit a problem to HP Blade Engineering? We're trying to find out
if we're the only ones in the whole world having this problem and get copies of
any Matrox G200eH reference or HP G200eH field test drivers that might be available.

HP Service Japan doesn't seem to be able to take this any further. BL460c G7's
are somewhat new. We've checked the web and the HP Knowlegebase and we're all stumped.

The BL460c Blades no longer have embedded ATI graphics chips. On-board graphics in the BL460c G7 is provided by Matrox. It's their G200eH video chip. We installed 3 of these servers in Naoetsu, Japan and we're having graphics problems. Our engineers have called HP Support and they've tried everything we can think of. They've even replaced one of the system boards. There was no improvement. We don't have any G7s in our lab here in Westwood, Ma, so there is one avenue I can't check myself and that's BIOS settings.

Our Engineers set the graphics resolution to 1280 X 1024 either 16-bit or 32-bit. It doesn't seem to matter whether they use the SUV cable to connect to a keyboard, mouse and LCD monitor or go through the KVM in the back of the C3000 enclosure. And the operating system doesn't seem to matter either. We're seeing the same problem under Windows 2003 Server 32-bit and Windows 2008 Server R2 64-bit. In a few days the engineers return and discover the graphic resolution has reset itself back to 640 X 480 4-bit. If they change the resolution back to 1280 X 1024 some of the screen icon are blacked-out. To recover they have to reboot. And within a day or two, it's back to 640 X 480 again.

I'm considering trying one of those PCI expansion blades with an ATI or nVidia card installed. If it works, it will surely solve the problem with 1 system, however, I'm not sure if the remaining empty slots in the C3000 will line up properly for the addition of pci expansion blades for the other 2 systems. There are storage blades involved too.

Dennis Herrick
2 REPLIES 2
DennisHerrick
Occasional Contributor

Re: G200eh driver problem with BL460c G7 blade

More information:

Error message we're seeing is a little more common than I thought. "G200eHd display driver has stopped working normally"
Plug in just about any video driver and someone out there has seen it before. Solutions are all over the map. I'm trying to buy a BL460c G7 from HP so I can investigate further.
DennisHerrick
Occasional Contributor

Re: G200eh driver problem with BL460c G7 blade

Well, I've done a web search and here are possible solutions if you see that "display driver has stopped working normally" message. Nothing has worked for us yet. Just remember, most of these suggestions came from gamers, unhappy that their favorite games were crashing windows or reducing video resolution on their own.

1) Upgrade to the latest driver.
Can't, no new driver available

2) Downgrade to an earlier driver.
Can't no older driver available

3) Try another video card.
Video is embedded, we swapped system
board instead. No change.

4) Reinstall driver.
We did, no change

5) Check power supplies.
Not likely, we did move blade to a
different slot in the c3000.

6) Check cooling.
Not likely, we did move blade to a
different slot in the c3000.

7) Run diagnostics on the system RAM.
Haven't tried this yet.

8) Disable onboard sound.
Haven't tried this yet.

9) Set RAM voltage below 2.3 volts in BIOS.
Haven't tried this yet.

10) Increase RAM voltage in BIOS 0.05 volts.
Haven't tried this yet.

11) Reinstall chipset drivers.
Haven't tried this yet.

12) Remove Windows Explorer 8.
Haven't tried this yet.

13) Replace CMOS battery / reload BIOS.
Haven't tried this yet.

14) Run DirectX diagnostics utility, dxdiag.
Haven't tried this yet.

15) Reduce Graphics Hardware Acceleration.
Haven't tried this yet.

16) Reinstall OS from scratch.
Haven't tried this yet. We did have
trouble using SmartStart 8.60.

17) Replace the system board.
We tried this, no change.

18) Ask software guys what the issue might be
It happens while running one of their
applications. No response.

Dennis