1753440 Members
4627 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RDP console physical devices

chaney56
Advisor

RDP console physical devices

We have two racks of c7000 enclosures, as well as eight p-class racks. The c7000 enclosures only have BL460c blades installed. One of the c-Class racks uses Cisco switches instead of Virtual Connect modules in the four blade enclosures. Almost half of the blades installed in this particular rack do not show up in the Physical Devices of the RDP console. The servers themselves show up in the console, but there is no information under location in the computer properties. The servers in the other c7000 rack and all the p-class racks all show up under Physical Devices. The firmware versions in the c7000 enclosures are all the same, as far as OA's and ILO. We are currently running RDP version 3.80. I was wndering if anyone else had seen this, and if it could be related to the use of Cisco switches rather than Virtual Connect modules.

Mike
3 REPLIES 3
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

Mike,

I wont be due to a difference of Cisco or Virtual Connect hardware.
It may be a difference of VLAN configuration between the ports on the Cisco and VC.

Or it could be the Proliant Support pack agents are not working correctly.

Also try redeploying the Altiris Agent.

And what about BIOS firmware, are they the same?
chaney56
Advisor

Adrian,

Thanks for the response. I tried re-installing the agent. That did not help. I have been updating the blades to the latest BIOS, but most are waiting on a scheduled reboot for the update to take effect. So blades with different versions are experiencing this, while blades in the other rack with the same version are showing up. I will talk to the network people, and have them look at how they configured the Cisco switches.

Thanks,
Mike
chaney56
Advisor

I still don't know what causes these blades not to have the physical location information, but we did figure out how to correct the problem. After shutting down and removing the blade from the slot, and then re-inserting it, the blade has the bay information and shows up in Physical Devices.