108789 Solutions
New Discussion

4500G - Vlan Routing

pawel_1
Occasional Contributor

4500G - Vlan Routing

Hi!

I have some questions about 3Com 4800G.

I am using port based vlans, when every port on client switches has its own vlan. All clients switches are connected to 4800G with link-aggregated interface. These interfaces are TAGGED for all vlans from each switch.

Now what i want.)

1) More simple for me is to make on core switch some ports for servers, and all my users cant see nothing in the network except servers. No for broadcast and yes for security. But i cant to configure ports for servers. I mean these ports (for servers) cant operate with many vlans.

2) The second idea is to configure switch for routing between vlans. For example i have a lot of client-port vlans and one vlan for my servers and 4800G make routing between them. I dont need ip4 routing just dynamic routing between vlans at first.

I dont want the full answers from how to solve my problems, because i can read the manual but i don now from what me start. Please can you tell me about my mistakes in network that i discribed.

And i have a question about all 3com switches. I have to wait a long time between I put the cable in the switch and time when i see succes ping. I have some HP ProCurve switches and Dlink but the time from plug in cable in free port and see success ping is some seconds but in 3Com it is more longer.

P.S. Sorry for my English and Thank you for any lelp!

This message was edited by pawel on 10-22-09 @ 5:02 AM
1 REPLY 1
Fred_Mancen_1
Super Advisor

Re: 4500G - Vlan Routing

Hi Pawel.

1) More simple for me is to make on core switch some ports for servers, and all my users cant see nothing in the network except servers. No for broadcast and yes for security. But i cant to configure ports for servers. I mean these ports (for servers) cant operate with many vlans.

ANSWER: If you want to connect servers using many VLANs in the port which it's connected, you can setup the port in hybrid mode, using the command "port link-type hybrid", using PVID and choosing which VLANs you want to tag or untag.

2) The second idea is to configure switch for routing between vlans. For example i have a lot of client-port vlans and one vlan for my servers and 4800G make routing between them. I dont need ip4 routing just dynamic routing between vlans at first.

ANSWER: In a multilayer switch, for routing among multiple VLANs, you just need to create VLAN-interfaces, that is actually the VLAN Layer 3 interface. You will assign IP addresses to these VLAN-interfaces and the switch will route all the VLANs created in it automatically. To create a VLAN-interface, you just need to issue the command:

"interface vlan-interface "

3) And i have a question about all 3com switches. I have to wait a long time between I put the cable in the switch and time when i see succes ping. I have some HP ProCurve switches and Dlink but the time from plug in cable in free port and see success ping is some seconds but in 3Com it is more longer.

ANSWER: this occurs because these switches are using RSTP instead STP; you can optimize this feature on 3com switches, you just need to issue the command "stp edged-port" in each port you need to optimize or in all ports.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
Fred Mancen