5148 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 5130HI Stacking Uplinking

merlinbrent
Occasional Contributor

5130HI Stacking Uplinking

Hi,

Looking at the 5130HI, with 4 SFP+ ports. We will be stacking 6 of these together, using DAC cables.

From what i've read, if we stack them using the front SFP+ ports, we wouldn't be then able to use the remaining ports as uplinks. So we've been told to use two of the front ports as uplinks (fibre) and then buy an add on module for the tear, to use for stacking.

Does this seem to make sense?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Interestingly on the HPE FlexNetwork 5130 HI Switch Series IRF Configuration Guide there is no reference about port grouping and subsequent IRF Physical Port restrictions...but, generally, what you read is true: Switch ports are grouped (I suspect that SFP+ front ports form a unique group [*])...once you select one or more physical port(s) to be part of the Logical IRF Ports you must pay attention to port grouping and you will lose remainig ports on the same port group (so you can't use them for uplinks to Servers or other Switches).

So, yes...it should be correct.

Would be interesting to find out what is the port grouping schema on the 5130 HI...

[*] Indeed read at page 32..."Shut down the physical interfaces used for IRF links. This example uses the SFP+ port group that contains Ten-GigabitEthernet 1/0/49 to Ten-GigabitEthernet 1/0/52 for IRF links.".

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
pombeii
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

From what source did you get the information? According to my knowledge, there is no such restrictions as port groups on hpe 5130 hi. That is, you may use some SFP plus ports for irf connections and some others for network service.

pombeii

parnassus
Honored Contributor

I should have written "So, yes...it would probably be correct." instead of "So, yes...it should be correct."

@pombeii, you're correct: that restriction isn't clearly stated anywhere...so it didn't exist at all...the only reference about a potential IRF "port grouping" - related to HPE FlexNetwork 5130 HI - is the one I linked above...and, I agree with you, is not so evident.

Probably the HPE FlexNetwork 5130 HI hasn't such IRF physical interface location/binding restrictions typically found on other Comware based switch series (see, as example, the HPE FlexNetwork 5130 EI Switch Series has some models - especially those with 48 ports - which front SFP+ ports are grouped by two: ports 49 and 50, ports 51 and 52) so the OP @merlinbrent should be free to use any supported port to form the required Logical IRF port without necessarily equipping his switch with an additional expansion module.

I'm not an HPE Employee
merlinbrent
Occasional Contributor

Hi All,

The reason i thought that the ports where grouped was because of something a supplier told me.

However, two seperate suppliers have both approached HP and informed me that the HI models don't group the ports, but that other models do.

Many thanks

Martin

parnassus
Honored Contributor

That's a good happy end. Case solved.

I'm not an HPE Employee