1748058 Members
5567 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

BFD-MAD with multiple ports?

abc0a
Occasional Contributor

BFD-MAD with multiple ports?

We are planing on implementing IRF between two 5820AF-24XG switches and will use BFD for multi-active collisions (MAD)...
Most examples show using a VLAN with single physical interface on each switch for BFD-MAD...

Are there any benefits of using multiple physical ports for BFD-MAD VLAN?
If so should they be aggregated?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Vince_Whirlwind
Trusted Contributor

Re: BFD-MAD with multiple ports?

I don't think you can aggregate them.

The manual says,

NOTE:
Whichever connection approach is used, there is no risk of broadcast storms, because BFD MAD links do
not transmit service data, and IRF member switches cannot transparently forward BFD packets.

abc0a
Occasional Contributor

Vince

I could not find this refenece in the manual?

What document are you using, if you dont me mind asking?

However, in the manual I have (this is a portfolio PDF, one of the PDFs is called "5800-5820 IRF Configuration Guide (R1211)"), on page 27 it says:

....A BFD MAD-enabled VLAN interface and all ports in the VLAN do not support any Layer 2 and Layer 3
protocol applications, including ARP and LACP......

I guess that means you are correct - no aggregation...

So, would that mean that only benefit of having multiple ports would be port redundancy?

Thanks

Vince_Whirlwind
Trusted Contributor

Yes. And you really don't need redundancy for your redundancy.

Peter_Debruyne
Honored Contributor

And if you do want it, you can create multiple BFD vlans, but stick to 1 port per BFD vlan.

Also note that MAD-BFD and MAD-LACP can both be activated, also providing multiple MAD detection options,

Best regards,Peter

abc0a
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Peter

Doesn't BFD-LACP require a 3rd device? 

Also, any advantages/disadvantages of using 1GB vs 10GB ports for BFD-MAD (other than the link speed)?

Thanks

Peter_Debruyne
Honored Contributor

Yes, LACP MAD requires a comware 3th device, configured with BridgeAggregation with LACP.

The point was just that having this in place, does not mean you cannot have an additional MAD BFD process in place, so all MAD processes can be combined if you want.

For the MAD BFD, any link will do, just remember you loose this port ... so if 1G available, I would pick it over the 10G, since you may want to keep the 10G available for future use,

Best regards,Peter