1752648 Members
5699 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Configuring Voice VLAN

mvzeppelin1

Configuring Voice VLAN

Hello,

I have a 3com 4500 switch and I am trying to configure a auto voice VLAN for Polycom / grandstream phones.

- I created a VLAN "6" and set up as a voice VLAN.

- I added the macs "0004-F200-0000" and "000B-8200-0000 (Polycom and grandstream respectively) in the list OUI.

- I added the mac of pbx server in the list OUI.

- All ports are as automatic.

when I put the server pbx and phones on the network, they do not enter the VLAN.

It is the correct procedure to isolate the phones and PBX server on the network?

thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
Jirkaehm
Advisor

Re: Configuring Voice VLAN

Hi,

You have it right, but not all :)

You also need to set every port which is going to be used for telephones (I personally set it to all port's) = 'port link-type trunk' (or you can use hybrid, but I recommend trunk)

Then you have to set manualy VoIP telephone to sent his data in your network to taged vlan 6.

Vlan 6 is then automaticaly added as taged when you connect your telephone to this port.

mvzeppelin1

Hi,

I understand. But then all phones need to send the taged VLAN id 6?

Some phones like grandstream not have support for VLAN and can not send data.

Is there a way to get these phones in VLAN only with the mac address in the list OUI? Without having to send the taged for VLAN id?

thanks.

Jirkaehm
Advisor

Hi,

I'm afraid 3com don't support it.

Only way is to set all phones to taged VLAN id 6.

Ed Holt
Regular Advisor

If your phones do not support tagging the you have to set the ports manualy to an access port in the voice vlan.

3Com Certified IP Telephony VCX/NBX Expert
3Com Certified IP Telephony VCX/NBX Expert CCNA
Jirkaehm
Advisor

Yes he can do that.

But then he is unable to connect some other device behind that phone.

Ed Holt
Regular Advisor

If the phone does not support tagging then you can not plug a device behind it anyway

3Com Certified IP Telephony VCX/NBX Expert
3Com Certified IP Telephony VCX/NBX Expert CCNA
Rob_Korn
Advisor

I have a question, If you guys are telling him that the PHONE needs to be set to the proper vlan before connecting, WHY HAVE automatic vlan voice at all.

The reason he is putting in the Macs for the OUI is that the switch sees the phone, recognizes and puts it into the proper vlan. (at least that what I was hoping would happen)

I also had this problem, followed the Configuration guide and still my Polycoms would not be recognized and placed into the voice vlan. I had to setup the phone for tagging on proper vlan.

Pages 120-124 of the configuration guide describe what MVzepplin is trying to do:

"Voice VLAN Configuration Example

(Automatic Mode)

Network requirements

Create a voice VLAN and configure it to operate in automatic mode to enable the port to which an IP phone is connected to join or exit the voice VLAN

automatically and voice traffic to be transmitted within the voice VLAN."

Please educate me, why even have the Macs and OUI if there is nothing automatic about it.

I was told another way is to get the DHCP server to set the vlan of the phone when it requests an address, problem was the DHCP I was playing with would have been on wrong Vlan and using wrong addresses.

I look forward to learning more in this topic.

Rob.