1753821 Members
8298 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Comware + Procurve / obtaining ip address takes long

HansPeter963

HP Comware + Procurve / obtaining ip address takes long

Hello,

I am replacing our old switches with new ones.

I built up a network with 2x HP 5900AF as core layer (IRF) and HP 5130 for access.

Currently our old core layer with 2x HP Procurve 5406zl is still running so I connected the new core switches with the old ones and everything works so far except one issue:

Everytime I connect a client to the new access switch, it takes about 45 seconds until it has obtained an ip address.

I already tried to connect an access switch directly to the old core switch with no better results.
Directly connected to the old cores or connected to the old access switches, it takes just 2-5 seconds for the client to get an ip address.
We have flat /16 network without vlans so no special configurations on switch side.

Does anyone know how I can fix that issue?

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
VoIP-Buddy
HPE Pro

Re: HP Comware + Procurve / obtaining ip address takes long

Hi Hans!

If you have a flat network and no VLANs it probably isn't the network.  What are you using for a DHCP server?  Perhaps the slowdown is there?  If the DHCP server is not switch based, maybe the server that it is running on needs to be rebooted if that hasn't been done in a long while.

The other thing you can do is take a Wireshark capture of the PC trying to get an address so that we could see the DHCP traffic and anything that could be wrong with it.

Regards,

David

I work for HPE in Aruba Technical Support
16again
Respected Contributor

What spanning-tree mode are you using?  Using classic mode , it can take 30..50 seconds before a port starts forwarding.  (some devices might already have give n up waiting!)

Silviow
Regular Visitor

HansPeter,

are there some configuration os host's ports  ?

Kind regards,