Comware Based
1748181 Members
3664 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Is it safe to do a 3Com S7910E massive software update (12 versions at once)?

Hens

Is it safe to do a 3Com S7910E massive software update (12 versions at once)?

Hello,

we have a 3Com S7910E with S7900E-CMW520-R6605 software version and we would like to update it to the latest version. I've seen there's at least 12 versions between the one we have and the newest one, and we are a bit worried about the procedure to update it.

Can we make the direct update from S7900E-CMW520-R6605 to 7500_5.20.R6708P05 safely? Or it is better to make some intermediate steps?

Furthermore, I am not able to find a bootrom update in the HP My Networking download page, we are currently running bootrom version 205.

Any help will be welcome.

Thank you!

1 REPLY 1
Peter_Debruyne
Honored Contributor

Re: Is it safe to do a 3Com S7910E massive software update (12 versions at once)?

Hi,

You can perform direct updates, but following traditional best practises is recommended of course (backup all original config files, backup original firmware images, read release notes for known issues/ command or feature changes, run a pilot migration, validate for 1-2 weeks, then move on).

Bootrom updates for the 7500 are part of the main firmware image, so the bootrom will be automatically updated.

This does require an additional (auto) reboot, so remember that switch downtime will be 2x normal boot (2x6-7 minutes, depending on installed line cards), and in combination with IRF, the other unit needs to go through the same procedure.

Depending on total size of IRF/line cards, expect 10-15 min for the procedure to be completed and links back online.

Best regards,Peter.