New Discussion

JC100A IRF ports

SOLVED
Go to solution
DSim
Occasional Contributor

JC100A IRF ports

Hi,

I'm trying to assign ports 25-28 to a VLAN to utilize the 10GBE ports for a storage network. I haven't been able to find a way to extricate ports 27 and 28 from the IRF role. Is it even possible?

TIA

4 REPLIES 4
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: JC100A IRF ports

It's unclear: is the JC100A a member of an IRF Stack or is it not?

If the JC100A is (still) a member of an IRF Stack and it was configured to use SFP+ ports 27 and 28 as physical members of the logical IRF Port(s)...you can't then use them to implement other features (those ports are IRF binded and so reserved).

Specificaly the JC100A shouldn't have any particular binding restrictions (as example: IRF physical ports grouping) with regards to IRF candidate/grouping ports (as instead happens with other models of the same family)...so you should be able to use *remaining* free SFP+ ports 25 and 26 for what you want.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
DSim
Occasional Contributor

The switch is standalone (no IRF connections) and I was hoping to assign all of the SFP+ to a seperate VLAN. 

But it seems from your response that they can't be repurposed from anything other than IRF ISLs. Time to look for another switch :(

Thank you

parnassus
Honored Contributor
Solution

DSim wrote: But it seems from your response that they can't be repurposed from anything other than IRF ISLs.

I never wrote that. I wrote that if that switch was (and is) configured to be part of an IRF Stack and those two latest SFP+ ports (27 and 28) were binded to a Logical IRF Port...you then need first to remove any IRF related configuration you have done (unbinding physical ports from the Logical IRF Port)...that way ports 27 and 28 will be freed and you can do what you want with them (as example you can then aggregate them in a single Link Aggregation Group and assign - AKA permit - to that LAG one or more Tagged VLANs).

Again...if physical ports 27 and 28 were used as IRF ports...you must first unbind them (shutdown them and then unbind, IRF Guide and Basic Configuration Manual are your best friends to learn how to operate on those ports)

There aren't IRF ports "pre-configured" or "pre-assigned" (there are only ports admitted to be binded to a Logical IRF Port, so candidate ports) on a Switch...it's a matter of what was configured and what was not.

Why you cited IRF if you then wrote that:

DSim wrote: The switch is standalone (no IRF connections)

Does this mean that your Switch was never configured to be a member of an IRF Stack or what else?

Because if it never saw a IRF configuration line...why worry about IRF binding at all?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
DSim
Occasional Contributor

Got it! Thank you.