3111 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Command View EVA 8 upgrade from Version 7

Mossman
Occasional Contributor

Command View EVA 8 upgrade from Version 7

Hi

I have customers who are being told to upgrade their Command View 7 (with Patch 701) to CV 8 but finding the information on how to as well as licencing implications confusing.

Therefore are you able to confirm:

1) Do the CV 7 licences work with CV 8 without any problems or do you have to apply for them/are they on entitlement if on contract)

and

2) Does CV 8 require CV7(01) to be removed prior to CV 8 installation or does CV 8 take care of this during its installation?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards

RIchard

7 REPLIES 7
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: Command View EVA 8 upgrade from Version 7

There is no licesing change from V7 to V8.

Yes, any previous CV-EVA version must be removed before installing CV8 - see the release notes for details.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

"2) Does CV 8 require CV7(01) to be removed prior to CV 8 installation or does CV 8 take care of this during its installation?
"

i know upgrading from 6.x to 7.. the installer takes care of removing CV6, reboots and then finished the install.

I would expect CV8 to do the same, but I do not know for sure. I am still trying to get a hold of a copy to play in my lab.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> I would expect CV8 to do the same,

Hi Steven - be careful with expectations ;-)

Quoted from the Release Notes:
""The HP Command View EVA Software Suite 8.0 does not support upgrades from earlier software versions. If you are running a version earlier than 8.0, you must first remove the earlier version, reboot the server, then install HP Command View EVA 8.0.""
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Thats why I need/want a copy of CV8. I never read the fine print.

and hello Uwe, Cheers!

Steven

Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Steven, there is no need do grab a softwarekit with (potentially) outdated files - you can still pick up the documentation through the BSC:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=471497
Mossman
Occasional Contributor

Hi

Thanks for that. Everything is now clear. With the issues I had getting customers from CV V6 (not licence key tied) to V7 (licence key tied) after they had installed on an 'instant on' 180 day basis and weren't sent the licence entitlements, I just wanted to be sure.

As for the media installation - it seems a backward step to not have the installer do the previous version uninstall but as long as I know for the future, that is all that matters.

Best regards

RIchard
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

CV8 has a completely new installer and do not forget that you have to reboot before you install CV8.