108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

eva5000 add disk

otmani
Advisor

eva5000 add disk

well
i have eva5000 2C6D with 48 disks FC .
i want to add and create a second disk group with 8 disks 146GB Fc .
i want known if i cant do that and i must have a disk in each emplacement in storage.
for a disk group i must have 8 disks .
thanks for answer
best regards
5 REPLIES 5
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Re: eva5000 add disk

Hello,

you need at least 8 ungrouped disks to create a disk group. If there are not free disks left, you can try to ungroup drives from you existing disk group. But there must be free space left in the disk group after ungrouping the 8 disks. So you need round about 1,5 TB of free disk space (with some reserves) in you disk group to ungroup 8 drives.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
otmani
Advisor

hello
thanks patrick

but i want only add a new disk group
with 8 disk 146 GB .but i dont known if i must be install 8 disks ou 24 disks
(reasons i have EVA5000 2C6D)

thank
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi, the 8 disk is sufficient. However it is not ideal to have only 6 disk enclosures because thus we cannot isolate the RSS members each in a different disk enclosure.
Another question is why are you creating another disk group, because according to the best practices there is a golden rule the more spindles the more performance. The only reason for creating the 8 disk group (from the performance point of view not a good idea) can be that the first disk group consists of the 73GB disks.
the pain is one part of the reality
otmani
Advisor

hy ibaltay

my first disk group is with disks 73GB.

i want to create a other with 8 disks 146GB.

i want known if i'm oblige to have in each column of enclosure a disk
thank

best R
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

yes it is the best idea to always vertically spread the disks across all enclosures, but unfortunately you have only 6 disk enclosures and 8 disks, so you have to put 2 disks in 2 enclosures
the pain is one part of the reality