7372 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

EVA5000 Software upgrade

Sharjeel Saleem
Regular Advisor

EVA5000 Software upgrade

Hi,
We are planing to upgrade the firmwares of subject storage including controllers (currently running VCS3020 ugrade to VCS3028) and disk drives also.Can anybody confirming me,Is there any need to change or upgrade SAN configuration including host HBA's and drivers, and fiber channel switch firmware?

-Sharjeel
6 REPLIES 6
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Re: EVA5000 Software upgrade

Hi,

When we did this, HP recommended that all devices on the SAN were upgraded to the latest versions.

So to answer you question, yes. Upgrade HBA firmware and OS drivers, and upgrade SAN switch firmware.

As it's recommended for HP to do the VCS upgrade they should advise you as to the exact compatibility matrix.

Cheers,

Rob
Amar_Joshi
Honored Contributor

EVA Compatibility matrix can be found at
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00746641/c00746641.pdf

Additionally if you are using SMA, it also may need upgrade of Command View and some HP recommended Windows Patches.

My 2 cents worth
Sharjeel Saleem
Regular Advisor

Thnx 4 da valued comments Amar can u plz confirming me 1 more thng,4 online HDD firmware upgrade the Command View 6 version hav installed necessary?

Secondly we r using 40 ports cisco SAN switch with ISL connecrivity and the numbers of devices are attched on it,even it seems vry dificult to take SAN switch outage for upgrading the firmware,is there any chance to avoid SAN firmware upgrade on dis go?

-Sharjeel
Jim Viera
Frequent Advisor

Oh yes, this is the "New HP", at least on the storage side of the house. I've been an HP customer for over 20 years and regret the day when the Hp/Compaq merger happened because Compaq won out over HP on the storage side.

Yes, you will probably have to upgrade your kitchen sink to be under the "Compaq" compliance model.

I love your servers but I'll never buy another storage array.......
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

For online disk firmware upgrades, you need to have at least VCS 3100 and Command View EVA 6 I think.

The disk firmware upgrade from VCS3020 to 3028 is an offline process, unless you can afford the space and time to ungroup disks so they can be code loaded.

Cheers,

Rob
Sharjeel Saleem
Regular Advisor

Hi,

1. We are having 3 hdd with firmware HP04, should i replace them first before proceeding the upgrade or is there any work around?
2. We are going to upgrade VCS3020 to VCS3110,is there any changes require in cabling from san switch?

-Sharjeel