108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HostRAID - Drive upgrade problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
MSD
Occasional Contributor

HostRAID - Drive upgrade problem

We have an ML110 G3 server, originally installed with 2 x 80GB SATA drives in a RAID 1 configuration.
Drive on Port 0 was replaced with a 250GB drive and the mirror was rebuilt.
Drive on Port 1 was replaced with a 250GB drive and the mirror was rebuilt.
HP Storage manager now sees the array as follows:

__Physical Devices
____Direct Attached Devices
______Port 0 - Optimal (232.83GB)
______Port 1 - Optimal (232.83GB)

__Logical Devices
____Logical Drives (1)
______Array 1 - Optimal (74.38GB)

The "Create logical drive" option is disabled for the controller. Is there any way we can either extend the Logical drive to use all the pace on the physical drives, or create a second logical drive, without losing the existing contents of the array?

4 REPLIES 4
Greybeard
Esteemed Contributor

Re: HostRAID - Drive upgrade problem

Hi, the problem you have is that by rebuilding an 80GB mirror to a 250GB drive the block address translation for 80GB has to be maintained so the rest of the capacity becomes inaccessible. your best option is to back up the data and create a new 250GB mirror to restore to, the addressing will then be created for the full disk capacity.

> the block address translation for 80GB has to be maintained
Maybe true on this embedded controller which is low end/limited functionality. What you did is normal and works transparently with smartarray cotrollers and larger array systems.

Have you rebooted the server (and power off) since the drive replacement? These embeded controllers have ROM based (BIOS) configuration interfaces and may rebooting (with power off) might help.

Otherwise you need to blow away the small LUN and create new larger one.
Greybeard
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Hi TTr, I think he used all of the 80GB for the LUN on the old array, the LUNs are created within the block / striped area and as the larger drive was a mirror of the smaller one there will be no addressable blocks on the rest of the drive so nowhere to put another / extended LUN. So yes, blow it away and start again.

Thanks to you both.

I guess you confirmed my fears that there was no easy solution to the problem. I was clutching at straws.

The Back-up, resize, restore option has been complicated for me due to limited resources and lost media. - My problem and not one for here.