Disk Enclosures
1752544 Members
4709 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Issue Expanding Raid5

Matt Samolis

Issue Expanding Raid5

We have a ML530 Compaq server running windows 2000 with sp4. We recently bought a new hard drive to stick into the raid. We were sucessfully able to add the drive to the array and expand it.

The issue is the controller sees the extra drive as one logical volume but windows does not. I rebooted the server and windows still does not show the extra space. It has been 2 weeks since this process started. I do not see any error messages in the event log and all the drives are reporting back as healthy. There are no messages on the controller to let me know it is doing anything. Any thoughts to why windows does not see the extra space?

Matt
2 REPLIES 2
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Re: Issue Expanding Raid5

what do you have on windows? something like unused space or unallocated space?

did you try expand the extra space using for example diskpart?

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
e4services
Honored Contributor

Re: Issue Expanding Raid5

Remember, there is a RAID logical and an OS logical (LUN). You will be expanding the RAID logical when you add the drive, creating a larger drive. THis will not effect the LUNs of the OS, simply add more space to the drive which will appear as free space to the OS and must be partitioned and formatted.
View the lgoical drive in Windows Disk Manager, it should now show unallocated space on the RAID logical drive
Hot Swap Hard Drives