4915 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Replace 3Par with Direct Attached Storage

MichaelM55
Trusted Contributor

Replace 3Par with Direct Attached Storage

Hello,

so one of our partners suggested us to order a new 3Par SAN for our VMWare infrastructure and HDD based backup

• Datacenter A
    - HP 3Par 7200c
    56x 900GB SAS 10k SFF
    36x 2TB 7.2k LFF
    8x 1.92 B cMLC SSD SFF
    software: application suite for VMware, replication suite, data optimization suite, reporting suite

- HP StoreOnce 4900 60TB for backup
  • Datacenter B
- HP 3Par 7400c
192 x 1.2TB SAS 10k SFF
108 x 4TB 7.2k LFF
32 x 1.92TB cMLC SSD SFF
software: application suite for VMware, replication suite, data optimization suite, reporting suite

- HP StoreOnce 4900 60TB for backup

Well, this is the Direct Attached Storage forum. And I like the idea of DAS itself. So, I really like to use DAS for VMWare and for backup.

• Is it possible to reach the same performance with DAS systems as with 3Par?

=> Of course it is

• Is it possible to reach the same performance and feature set with HP DAS? What features won´t work?
  • Which DAS system would you recommend?
  • Does anyone have a kind of HP DAS configurator I can use for calculating a HP DAS system? (e.g. like the HP networking configurator or an dynamic excel sheet)
1 REPLY 1
CalvinZito
HPE Blogger

Re: Replace 3Par with Direct Attached Storage

Let me give some guidance here:

• Is it possible to reach the same performance and feature set with HP DAS? What features won´t work?  It depends. 3PAR has some fantastic special sauce (fine grain virtualization, wide striping, ASIC that offloads, SSD deduplication, etc) that give it some real advantages over DAS and other traditional arrays.  But it depends on what your performance requirements are. Based on the number of drives I'm seeing in your 3PARs, I think you could be stretching the limits of DAS.
  • Which DAS system would you recommend? Not sure what you're detailed requirements are so very hard to give you a recommendation.
  • DAS configurator - nothing that I'm aware of.

I think for the community to provide better feedback, more details of your environment and your requirements would help versus the recommended config you have.