5506 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Storage migration from EVA to XP

prasanth.ps
Frequent Advisor

Storage migration from EVA to XP

Hi Experts,

We are going to migrate our EVA storage To XP storage. We have 12 HPUX cluster(two node oracle RAC cluster) running there in the site.
I heard that we can do the single shot migration from EVA to XP by using auto LUN.
We were plannng to do it by using LVM mirroring and reconfigure the cluster lock. If the migration is done by using auto LUN is it required to do the cluster re configuration... Can any one help me out to clarify this point?

Rgds,

Prasanth.
5 REPLIES 5
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Re: Storage migration from EVA to XP

HI

a) I don't believe auto LUN is an add on for EVA.
b) You can purchase it but its more for resource allocation and load balancing, like in a virtual environment, than for migration.
c) I've done several migrations and always like to stay with the native command set rather than buy a one and done application.
d) Have you looked into present both EVA and XP luns to a box, copying the data over, and then removing the EVA fibre?
e) You'll have to do a cluster reconfigure in order to account for the new device names, which will change, regardless.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
prasanth.ps
Frequent Advisor

Hi Michale,

Thanks for your immediate response...

Here the problem is that all the boxes are running with oracle RAC ( raw SLVM Way) cluster running on the service guard.
We cant copy the data, becuase the oracle databse is configured through ASM on raw device.

I was planned to do it by using the LVM mirroring, after presenting the xp volume on the unix box mirror it with current eva volume and remove the eva volume from the mirror once its done.After that we can reconfigure the cluster lock disk with the new hardware address.

I need to clarify the point that these auto lun software will do the migration without any hassles.... then how the OS is recognising the new lun from xp..defintely its lun id and the hardware address will be diffrenent than the earlier eva one.so it meant the cluster needs to be re configured.

But my storage peoples are saying that, migration by using the auot lun will be easier than the lvm mirroring and once its done it cluster configuration is not required to modify... I didint understand how it possible? Can u please explain briefly...

Thanks and rgds,

Prasanth.
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Here the problem is that all the boxes are running with oracle RAC ( raw SLVM Way) cluster running on the service guard.
We cant copy the data, becuase the oracle databse is configured through ASM on raw device.

######################
a) I didn't think you needed MC/SG with RAC?
b) You'll have to update the cluster binaries with the new lun device names. See attached for procedure
c) substiute 'dd' for 'cp' between file systems. dd in this case from lun to lun, or, LVM mirroring will also work and might be easier in fact.
######################

I was planned to do it by using the LVM mirroring, after presenting the xp volume on the unix box mirror it with current eva volume and remove the eva volume from the mirror once its done.After that we can reconfigure the cluster lock disk with the new hardware address.

#########################
Not just the lock disks, all disks

I need to clarify the point that these auto lun software will do the migration without any hassles.... then how the OS is recognising the new lun from xp..defintely its lun id and the hardware address will be diffrenent than the earlier eva one.so it meant the cluster needs to be re configured.

######################
absolutely, see attached

#######################
But my storage peoples are saying that, migration by using the auot lun will be easier than the lvm mirroring and once its done it cluster configuration is not required to modify... I didint understand how it possible? Can u please explain briefly...
They don't know what they are talking about. Ask them to explain how auto lun, a disk array application, is going to control the device names on a HP-UX server?
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Don't forget to assign 0 to 10 points to all responses and then close the thread when finished. Sometimes open threads are responded years from now and its quite humorous.
prasanth.ps
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Michale,

Thanks for the reply...

Hope i can close this thresd now....
As per your query i assigned points to each reply...Enjoy....

rgds,
prasanth