108868 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: securepath for active/active

SOLVED
Go to solution
otukile
Frequent Advisor

securepath for active/active

I have installed SP3.0F SP2 on an rp3410 running HPUX 11i connected to EVA80000. Also istalled SP related patches for Active/Active. According to the manual running these commands should give something otherwise. I get the following:

# autopath display
AUTOPATH : /dev/hpap: No such file or directory
# autopath display -r
# autopath display -c
# cd /opt
# ls
Autopath VRTSvmpro graphics lost+found perl
HPswsp VRTSvxms hparray mpt raid4si
Migration app hpwebadmin mx resmon
Netscape asx icod mysql samba-3.0.22
ORCLfmap audio ifor netscape snia
OV cifsclient ignite netscape6 ssh
VRTS dce image nettladm upgrade
VRTSfspro dcelocal java1.2 networkdocs video
VRTSob fcms java1.3 parmgr wbem
VRTSvlic gnome java1.4 pd webadmin
# cd HPswsp/
# ls
master mod.o system
#
# autopath discover
AUTOPATH : Discovery of New Paths / LUNs will be effective only if ioscan and i
nsf -e are executed prior to autopath discover
AUTOPATH : Discover in Progress ...

Autopath: /dev/hpap:No such file or directory
AUTOPATH : No such file or directory

Anyone with ideas?

Don't panic
9 REPLIES 9
hyun-seok kim
Frequent Advisor

First, check os version 11.11?
if ok, you need to install ULM first
ULM(upper layer protocol) is in OS or APP CD..

not work? remove & reinstall

when it install, you must have to select active-active(autopath) not active-passive (securepath)
UNIX for all
Mark Garrett
Advisor

I still cant see why anybody thinks HPUX was worth dumping tru64 in the round filling cabinet for ;(
David Woodroffe
Frequent Advisor

I had a similar case with hpux 11.11 and an eva3000. The kernel doesn't have what is required. ULM is necessary as already indicated. I also suggest that you check out the OS patch requirements.

I had to uninstall Secure Path, reinstall the original software from CD and then apply the SP#2 patch 2 loaded from HP site. (That's right, Service Pack 2 has a patch). Just double check your swagent.log file at each step.

Oh and you might find that you may have to set the load balancing policy and turn discover ON.
Amar_Joshi
Honored Contributor

Hi Guys,

I am confused with the thread because in my knowledge secure-path for EVAs run the spmgr commands and not autopath.

Can you run #spmgr display

Let me know the outcome.
otukile
Frequent Advisor

Amardeep, unfortunately thats what the SecurePath manual says. You use the autopath command to manage the utility. If you type spmgr command u get "command not found". In short spmgr is not installed in the active-active scenario

This is specifically what I ordered. So I assume since its the latest it would be SP2.

T3549C HP SP HP-UX v3.0F 1 LTU/CD

Another thing, when I go to the upgrade website, there is whole list of update and I dont know which one use in my case. There are these choices:

1. SecurePath 3.0F Service Pack 2 Patch 2
2. SecurePath 3.0F Service Pack 2
3. SecurePath 3.0F Service Pack 1
4. SecurePath 3.0F Software Update
Now do I install all of them? if so in what order?

Don't panic
sivam
Advisor
Solution

Hi

Please do it as below.

4. SecurePath 3.0F Software Update
3. SecurePath 3.0F Service Pack 1
2. SecurePath 3.0F Service Pack 2
1. SecurePath 3.0F Service Pack 2 Patch 2

Sivam

otukile
Frequent Advisor

Thanks sivam and everyone on all the comments. I noted that I had only installed the ULM patches but not the ULM-SERVICE itself. I did that and then proceeded to install the service packs in the order prescribed. The turn off is that each of them needed a reboot and it took me almost 3 hours!!

After that, I presented 2 LUNs to the server. But I had to reboot the server after presenttion or else I was getting "no valied SecurePath devices found".

After that, I am disapointed by the presentation style adopted by this version of SecurePath. NO LUN masking!! For the 2 LUNS presented by the array I got 16 isntances on ioscan! Imagine if I had more than 50 LUNs. From the other forums, I am supposed to just pick one of these devices files and create a volume group out of it. No problem with that. My problems comes on the suggestion that I can tuck in the other device files under the volume group to avoid mistaking them as unused LUNs. Do I use vgextend with all the other instance deveice files or how else do i do that?

Attached find my scenario.
Thanks in advance,
Otukile

Don't panic
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> I got 16 isntances

Well, that's the way AutoPath happens to work :-(

> Do I use vgextend with all the other instance deveice files

Yes, there is a customer advisory which recommends adding all paths. Otherwise, the system will not be able to activate the volume group if this path is unavailable during boot:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=471465&prodTypeId=18964&objectID=c00616731
WayneHP
Frequent Advisor

All the command :

autopath is for raids in active-active mode.
spmgr is for raids in active-passive mode.

Both commands allow you to set load balencing policies on your devices.

If you use SAM to create your PVs, VGs and LVs you will see only one device PER LUN presneted and the number of paths next to it.

If you can afford it use Veritas dmp (device multipath) it allow you to put weights on preferred paths but still use them all for HA.

This allows more bandwith control of HBAs, RAID controller paths.