108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Changing iLo passwords

SOLVED
Go to solution
Scott Caryer
Frequent Advisor

Changing iLo passwords

I been instructed to have my team change the iLo passwords on some 140+ servers. I have just recently added most of these servers to our OneView environment. These servers consist of DL380s and BL460 blades of various Gens. My question to the forum, if I manually access these iLos via Oneview and change the local iLo passwords, will we have to also change the password from within OneView as well? Most of these servers have been added as "Monitored" in my Oneview environment. I just don't see where such a setting exist for the server's iLo within Oneview. However, when I added each server to Oneview, I had to add an ilo account and password.

Thanks in advance...

Scott

3 REPLIES 3
Kashyap02
HPE Pro
Solution

Hi Scott, 

You can change the passwords using the below tools. 

1.  hponcfg

2. RESTFUL API

3. Powershell Script

Please refer to the link for reference and example script : https://nghadgeblog.wordpress.com/2017/05/05/powershell-script-reset-to-ilo-password-on-the-network/

Note: 

1. If you change the password for the user which was used to add the server to oneview, then you will face the authentication problems in oneivew for these server ILOs as these credentials are used in polling. 

2. If you are changing the password for the user other than the one which was used to add these servers to OneView, you can do it safely without any problems. 

For any help on the scripting, I would suggest you to engage the organizations ASM for the same. 

Thank you.

I am a HPE Employee.

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Scott Caryer
Frequent Advisor

Can you please elaborate on item #1 once again. I just had a very experienced HPe OneView expertise that told  me otherwise. He indicated that once a server has been added to Oneview, it no longer uses that account to passthrough iLo credentials. He indicated that the  _HPOneViewAdmin account is used within Oneview going forward, and futher indicated that changing the local iLo Admin account will NOT effect how the server and OneView work together.

Kashyap02
HPE Pro

Hi Scott, 

Yes, once the server is added to the OV there will be a SSO oneview user account created in the ILO. I have tested this. I have added a DL server to oneview using the ILO credentials and then changed the password of the ILO. There was no issues reported in Oneview. Server refresh was completed successfully. 

Thanks.

A HPE Employee

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo